Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.

My 2008 Saturn Vue v6, has a flashing C next to the temperature

My 2008 Saturn Vue v6, has a flashing "C" next to the temperature on the in-dash console.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer for some reason the manufacturers have added a cold temperature light to their vehicles. Some Toyotas and Nissans have a temp light that is blue instead of red and indicates that the vehicle is not at operating temperature. I am going to presume that that C indicates the same thing. If it is on from the moment you start the car, but goes off shortly after the temp guage starts to rise, I would feel that is what it's indicating. If you look in the Instrument cluster symbols in your owner's manual you will find what it means. I think you are going to find that it's the same. If that is it's purpose, it doesn't indicate a fault, just that it's not at full operating temp yet.

Your JA Expert,

Ivan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The flashing "C" never goes off, even tough the car temperature rises.
Thank you.

Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.

Have you looked at the owners manual to see what the symbol stands for? If you could let me know what it indicates in the manual, I can help you figure out why it is on.

Ivan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I cant seem to find it ANYwhere in the owners manual.
Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.
Ok, let me see what I can find for you. Can you wait until tomorrow?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sure i guess tomorrow will be fine.
Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.

I'm going to make a phone call in the morning and I'll get the info to you as soon as I can. Have a good night.

Ivan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks I appreciate the assistance, but I will be able to call the Saturn Dealer tomorrow morning as well.. Again I appreciate the help.

Joe
Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.

Your welcome Joe, I will get back to you regardless. We'll make sure our stories on the same.

Ivan

Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.

Joe, a fellow expert has given me some information. The C is for the Compass. Below you will find the bulletin that pertains to the problem. See you don't have to wait until tomorrow. I hope this helps.

Ivan

the flashing "c" in the Instrument cluster if for the compass. Here's the bulletine
ubject: Compass Displays a Steady or Flashing "C" In Place Of Directional Heading
Models: 2008 Saturn VUE built on or after 11/09/2007

This PI was superseded to update Recommendation/Instructions. Please discard PIT4699.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

The compass displays a steady or flashing "C" in place of directional heading.

To return to a normal heading display, press and hold the cluster stem for approximately 2 Seconds.

the displayed heading is not correct after driving for 30 seconds, use the following "Compass Calibration" routine.

Press cluster stem until the Season Odometer is displayed (Not Trip A or B).

Press and hold cluster Stem until the solid "C" is displayed. To the right of the "C" will be the "Zone". Refer to the variation zone map above for the correct setting. Turn the stem Right to increase, Left to decrease. It will take a few seconds for a change of zone to be updated in the display.

Once the Zone is correct, press the Stem to display the Flashing "C". Do not touch the Stem again until the direction is learned. Drive the vehicle in slow circles in an open area until you see a compass (oc tant) heading replace the flashing C.

Note: Vehicles built prior to 11/09/2007 were not built with a compass.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Engineering is aware of this condition and is in the process of root causing. It is known that the Remote Compass Module (RCM), Body Control Module (BCM) and Cluster hardware are not at fault, and these parts should not be replaced.

Reinforce with the PDI technicians that the Compass Zone and calibration is still required as part of PDI.

This PI will be updated when more information is available.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.