George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist
13574682

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe: only starts when i remove the tps Sensor

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5 only starts when i remove the TPS Sensor Why is this happening
Category: Car
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

Hello I will answer your question,

A theory is that the TPS is returning a Wide open throttle signal to the engine control computer. If you have a voltmeter this can be tested.

If you have a scantool it will make troubleshooting much easier.

Let me know what you have so that i can help you with this

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tested the the wire harness and it gave me 4.62.

the codes i received are PO101,PO123,PO220 and P1195
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

OK you have two throttle position sensors on this engine an "A" and a "B" sensor. They report voltage in opposite directions. That is as one goes up the other goes down. This is a redundant check so that the throttle does not enter a runaway condition as there is no physical connection between the throttle body and the accelerator pedal.

The codes you have are for P0101 Mass Air Flow sensor out of range

P0123 Throttle Position Sensor #2 high voltage

P0220 Electronic throttle sensor main circuit malfunction

P1195 Limp home valve on

The circuit is as follows

graphic

The TPS requires an initialization procedure when the battery is disconnected or the tps is unplugged. I suspect that you unplugged the MAF with the key on and it set the code for that. If you can clear codes and perform this initializiaton procedure then run the engine or just crank it to see which codes reset you can get an idea of where to start troubleshooting. Does your scanner give you data or does it just read codes?

Here is the procedure

PERFORMING THE INITIALIZATION:

1. Turn the ignition key to the ON position (for less than one second) and quickly turn

the ignition key back to the OFF position.

2. For the next 20 seconds, the ETS Control Module/PCM performs the

INITIALIZATION process.

DO NOT turn the key back on until the INITIALIZATION is complete (20 seconds

Let me know what resets and we will work from there

George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist