Scott K
Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor
Experience:  20 yrs exp. Electrical; Driveabilty; Undercar; Airconditioning. Domestic and Foreign.
9480930

Replace a center support bearing on a 2006 staurn vue v6 red line awd

how to replace a center support bearing on a 2006 staurn vue v6 redline awd

Hello I will answer your question,

Is this a 2006 or 2005?

Have you been able to source a center bearing separately?

All my information shows the entire prop shaft being replaced as an assembly and the center bearing is not available by itself.

In the past I have used a driveline shop to match the bearings and joints that I required but were not available through traditional sources.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It is a 2006. I have been quoted by a local saturn dealer $565.00 to replace the center support bearing they also gave a part number 10383858.
As the entire propshaft lists for $808 and is available for $757 this does not seem unreasonable with labor. You can get a second opinion from a driveline shop if you are concerned with the price.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have located the bearing kit for $221.38 which inclues the bearing and the u-joint
the rear u-joint is removed and the shaft is also removed, heat and press the bearing from the shaft and press the new bearing on and replace the u-joint and assemble. please tell me if this is correct
I do not have a procedure for replacement of the center bearing so I am going to opt out and allow another expert to answer you question
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks for trying
Ok ,Good luck with it but I would ask a driveline shop for a second opinion

Below are the instuctions for the center support bearing on the rear propeller shaft. A press will be needed. I recommend removing the shaft and carring to a driveline shop or machine shop if you don't have the press available to you.

Tools Required

J 22912-B Split-Plate Bearing Puller
J 45270 Universal Joint Remover/Installer

Object Number: 748220  Size: SH

Notice: Never clamp propeller shaft tubing in a vise. Clamping propeller shaft tubing in a vise could dent or deform the tube, causing an imbalance or unsafe condition. Always clamp on one end of the yokes and support the shaft horizontally.

Important: Prior to disassembly, mark the positions of the driveshaft components relative to the driveshaft tube. All components must be reassembled in the same relationship to maintain proper balance.

1. Remove the snap rings.
    1.1. Pinch the ends of the snap ring together with a pair of pliers.
    1.2. If the snap ring does not readily snap out of the groove in the yoke, tap the end of the bearing cup lightly in order to relieve pressure from ring.

Object Number: 696384  Size: SH

2. Remove the universal joint caps using J 45270 .
  3. Remove the front shaft half.
    Object Number: 748239  Size: SH

4. Remove the lock ring (1) from the groove.
  5. Discard the lock ring.
    Object Number: 748216  Size: SH

6. Place J 22912-B on the splined yoke, as illustrated.
  7. Using a press, remove the yoke.
    Object Number: 748229  Size: SH

8. Place J 22912-B behind the support bearing.
  9. Place the shaft in a press; then, support J 22912-B and press off the support bearing.

Installation

Tool Required

J 44870 Yoke Installer

Object Number: 748288  Size: SH

1. Using J 44870 , install the support bearing on the drive shaft until it seats firmly.
    Object Number: 748351  Size: SH

2. Align the splines on the shaft and the splines on the yoke.
  3. Using J 44870 , install the yoke (2) on the drive shaft (1) until the lock ring groove is visible.
    Object Number: 748239  Size: SH

4. Install the lock ring (1) in the groove.
    Object Number: 748220  Size: SH

5. Install the universal joint caps and the retaining clips.
Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor
Experience: 20 yrs exp. Electrical; Driveabilty; Undercar; Airconditioning. Domestic and Foreign.