Mauricio, Technician
Experience:  15 years working in all makes and models

2000 Kia Sportage: miles per hour..quit running..restart..It cranks

Customer Question

I was driving at approx 25 miles per hour when my 2000 Kia Sportage just quit running. Got it to a side street and tried to restart it. It cranks but will not start. Changed the 80A main and still nothing.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mauricio replied 7 years ago.
Hi Customer. Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-How many miles are on your Car?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
110,000 roughly
Expert:  Mauricio replied 7 years ago.

Did you replace your timing belt at 105k?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no, i did not

just bought it November 1, 2008
Expert:  Mauricio replied 7 years ago.
Ok , Remove the oil cap and look inside for any kind the movement,we are try to see if the camshaft is turning.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
okay, will try, vehicle is not at same location as i am. what other things do i need to check for?
Expert:  Mauricio replied 7 years ago.

You need to put a funnel on the fuel filler neck and try to listen to the fuel pump running, the pump should run for 5 second after you turn the key on, and check for spark , remove the first spark plug wire the one close to the radiator and insert a screw drive inside and try to ground to piece metal you should be 1 to 2 inch to the metal and you should see the spark jump.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Checked camshaft. Not turning while I am turning the motor over. Looks like it is the timing belt. How hard is it to change and did it do any damage to the motor?
Expert:  Mauricio replied 7 years ago.

Ok Do you have any experience working on car engine?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes and I have a good friend that does too. So where do I go to get the how to info?

Expert:  Mauricio replied 7 years ago.

* - Interference engine.(except 1.6L SOHC, 2.0 SOHC)

(20) - On 1994 models, replace every 60,000 miles. On 1995-2005 models except CA, replace every 60,000 miles. On 1995-2005 CA models, replace every 105,000 miles. On 2006-08 models, replace every 60,000 miles.

This is a interference motor you may bent valves on the cylinder head, you may need a auto technician to do this job.

Expert:  Mauricio replied 7 years ago.
You'll need to send the cylinder head out to a machine shop and check the head.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I read what you have given me. Will mine (a 2000) have motor damage or head damage. I know that alot of the cars now can break a timing belt and have no damage. The car didn't make any noise it just stopped running.
Expert:  Mauricio replied 7 years ago.
Some motor doesn't bent valves when break timing belts, however you motor is an interference motor and will bent valves.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How will I know. Do I take it in and get someone to look at it and take a chance of them shafting me or is there away to tell myself?
Expert:  Mauricio replied 7 years ago.
No, you need to remove the cylinder head and send out to machine shop, they have the equipment to check the cylinder head and valves.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Ok. Where on line can I go to find out how to change it.

Expert:  Mauricio replied 7 years ago.
I can give you this info just give 10 minutes and I'll send to you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Great. Thank you so much
Expert:  Mauricio replied 7 years ago.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the two fresh air duct mounting bolts on the radiator.
  3. Loosen the fresh air duct clamp at the intake housing.
  4. Remove the hose at the resonance chamber.
  5. Remove the fresh air duct
  6. Remove the five cooling fan shroud bolts.
  7. Remove the four thermo-modulated fan nuts.
  8. Remove the thermo-modulated fan and cooling fan shroud at the same time
    1. Loosen the two generator mounting bolts (A and B).
    2. Loosen the generator drive belt from the generator by loosening the adjusting bolt (c).
    3. Remove the generator drive belt.
    4. Remove the fan pulley.
    5. Remove the four splash guard mounting bolts and splash Guard
    6. Loosen the A/C idler pulley nut (A).
    7. Remove the A/C drive belt by loosening the adjusting bolt
    8. Loosen the power steering pump lock bolt and mounting bolt.
    9. Remove the power steering belt.
    10. Remove five bolts and the upper timing belt cover.
    11. Remove two bolts and the lower timing cover.
    12. graphic
    13. Loosen the tensioner lock bolt and pivot the tensioner pulley outward to remove the tension from the timing belt, then re-tighten the tensioner lock bolt. Tightening Torque: 27 - 38 ft. lbs. (37 - 52 Nm)
    14. Mark the timing belt rotation for proper reinstallation if it is reused
    15. Remove the timing belt. CAUTION: Be careful not to allow oil or grease on the belt
    17. graphic
    18. Align the timing belt pulley and the pump body alignment marks
    19. graphic
      1. Align the mating marks on the camshaft pulleys with the alignment marks on the seal plate. NOTICE:
        • For intake side camshaft pulley, align I mark.
        • For exhaust side camshaft pulley, align E mar
        • graphic
        1. Install the timing belt so that there is no looseness at the tension side, and at the two camshaft pulleys. CAUTION:
          • If the timing belt is being reused, it must be reinstalled to rotate in the original direction.
          • Check that there is no oil, grease, or dirt on the timing belt
        1. Loosen the tensioner lock bolt.
        2. Turn the crankshaft two complete revolutions in the direction of rotation.
        3. Check that the mating marks are correctly aligned. If not aligned correctly, remove the timing belt and tensioner, and return
        4. graphic

• Turn the crankshaft to align the S mark of the exhaust camshaft pulley with the seal plate mating mark.
      • Tighten the timing belt tensioner lock bolt. Tightening torque: 27 - 38 ft. lbs. (37 - 52 Nm, 3.8 - 5.3 kg-m)
      • .Install the lower timing belt cover and two bolts
Expert:  Mauricio replied 7 years ago.

Expert:  Mauricio replied 7 years ago.