George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist

2007 hyundai: car wont start..headlights

Hi, I have a 2007 Hyundai Elantra...the car started this morning in the garage. Tonight in the driveway it will not sounds like it's trying to but it won't start. The headlights, radio and everything come on. Can you tell what the problem maybe?

Hello I will assist you with your question,

Has the fuel pump recall been done on your Hyundai?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I didn't know there was a fuel pump recall. No one ever notified us.

If you have moved or they did not have your address correct or you bought it used you would not be notified. At any rate the recall is to replace the fuel pump for just this concern. If you call a Hyundai dealer with your VIN they will check to see if it has been performed. As new as your vehicle is it should be covered for roadside assistance.

Call 1-800-243-7766 and they will tow it to the closest dealer at no charge if the cause of the no start is covered by warranty.

Unless you have more than 60000 miles or are in Canada you will be covered.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Everything is forwarded to the new address and the phone number hasn't changed. Would this be the cause of th car starting this morning but not tonight? The vehicle is still under long will take to replace a fuel pump (asking because this is my only vehicle)

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Also, I just checked the recall list online and it says that its for Hyundai elantras manufactured November 5, 2007 thru June 2008. I bought my vehicle April 2007. Doesn't this make a difference?

You are correct that you are outside the recall so that is why you did not recieve notice.

I see that you jumped the car to try to start it. Was it not cranking?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It acts as if it wants to start but not quite

Ok I will understand that to be it was cranking but not starting. The fuel pump is a very likely cause which the dealer will diagnose before replacing. I have changed many pumps for no starts as you have described. The fuel pressure is tested and the electrical supply to the pump is verified to confirm the pump failure.

Give roadside assistance a call and they will get the car to the dealer for you so it will be waiting for them in the morning. Call the service department as soon as they open and they will get right on it and may have it repaired by the time you can get there.

Good luck with it

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks so much for your least I have some idea of what the problem may be. Again Thank You!

Thank you for using Just Answer