Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair
13677702

1988 Mazda 323: was driving down road and car died..Would not restart

1988 Mazda 323, was driving down road and car died like it was out of gas. Would not restart, just turned over like it wanted to.
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Can you tell if the engine seems like it is spinning faster when you are cranking? maybe a little different sound than before. LMK Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
car died on my daughter, she said she went to start the car and it started ok then all the lights on th dash came on and then it sputter and died and would not restart. I went to check it out and it started and ran just like it always has, went down road and got about one mail down road and it just stoped running. I tried to restart and it just turned over but would not start. I don't think it was spending any faster.
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.
Do you have a can of carb cleaner or starting fluid on hand?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no

Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.

Hello, What we are going to need to do is determine what is missing. Spark, fuel or both. The easiest way to see if engine is getting adequate spark to run car is to spray some carb cleaner in the throttle body. You wil need to remove the big black hose at t body and gently spray a little cleaner in it. Try to start car. If it starts then stalls, then we know the ignition is not the problem and by your desdription, would be a fuel pump. It is located under the back seat set into gas tank. You could do this yourself.

If the car does NOT try and start with cleaner, suspect an ignition problem. You would need to remove the end of coil wire from distributor cap and with insulated pliers or other, hold the end of coil wire very close to ground ( metal) Crank aand watch for spark. If none. suspect ignition module located on distributor. It may be getting hot and cutting out then cooling for restart. If you HAVE spark at coil wire, then you need to pull one plug wire from spark plug and do same thing to check for spark. If you do NOT have spark at plugs, BUT have spark at coil wire, you have a problem with distributor cap and rotor. You will need to do the tests. I hope I have helped in narrowing down your problem. LMk and Thanks

RC

Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair