Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.

2006 mazda: test console..I depress the brake pedal, I

I just finished replacing the rear brake pads on a 2006 Mazda3. When I prepared to take the car on a test drive, I depressed the brake pedal in anticipation of putting the car in drive and heard a 'clunk' like noise comming from the area of the center console...the noise was not there before I replaced the brake pads. Each time I depress the brake pedal, I get the noise. When I start the car and then depress the brake pedal during normal driving conditions, there is no noise. I suspect the noise I'm hearing is the sound of the switch which releases the lock on the shift lever so the car can be put in gear but don't know why it is now making a 'clunk' noise...what should I do to fix/stop the noise?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ivan replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomerand Happy New Year. If the noise is inside the passenger compartment, it had to have been there before and it just never caught your attention. I agree with you that it must be the park interlock solenoid. That solenoid moves linkage that is what must be making the clunk. I wouldn't worry about it, but I would say, see if you can find another Mazda 3 to compare it too. If you know someone or even find one on a car dealer's lot, see how that noise compares to your car. If it the same, you can have piece of mind. You could not have caused any issues in that console from what you did. Before you go crazy, pursue this course and see if another car sounds the same. Let me know if you need anything else and let me know what you find.

Your JA Expert,