Tristan Franklin
Experience:  8yrs. exp. engine repair performance brakes electrical air condition

I crossed the positive and negative battery cables on my 96

I crossed the positive and negative battery cables on my 96 Ford Ranger. After charging the battery it will start but will only run 3 or 4 minutes and then it dies. Please help a dumb female.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tristan Franklin replied 7 years ago.
when the truck is running, if you look at the indicator light on the dash, do you see a battery light or symbol on also is the check engine light on?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes sir. Both check engine light and battery symbol are on.
ok, unfortunately i can't find you a picture that you can see, but the problem is you have blown the MEGA FUSE which is located on the fuse block under the hood where the red battery cable attach. replace it. good luck. and please accept my answer. thanks T-MAN
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I went outside and looked under the hood. All I can see is the distribution box with many fuses. However the only place where the red battery cable attaches is the solenoid.

at the power distribution box , look really good there is a large red cable there and it's going to the alternator, battery, or starter. where that cable connects to the distribution box is where the mega fuse is located, remove that cable. good luck.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Ok. Again I looked and there is no large red cable going to the distribution fuse box. There is a large red cable going from the battery to the starter. Could this be the one?

You have been so kind and I appreciate your trying to work with a dumb female. I will accept your answer.

Dumb Female

Benton, Arkansas