Rixster, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner Rix Automotive & Mobile Repair 27+ Years Exp. with all makes and models cars and Lt. Trucks

79 Cadillac: liter..V8..hesitation..New choke thermostate installed

I have a 79 Cadillac 7 liter V8 which has a hesitation on excelerating. Full tune up done in last 2 weeks. New choke thermostate installed with tune up.
Category: Car
Expert:  Rixster replied 7 years ago.

Hello! I'm Rixster...

I am going to see if I can help you out on this but I'm going to need to pick YOUR brain a bit first...

Is this vehicle Carbureted with a 4bbl. Rochester Quadrajet?

Does this vehicle sit often?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes to the carborator type and the car is driven daily
Expert:  Rixster replied 7 years ago.

I'd be willing to lay a wager that your accelerator pump plunger in your carb. is faulty.

Which would entail an overhaul.

To check this...

Remove the air cleaner lid and shine a flashlight down the primary side of the carb. under the choke flap. (you may have to hold the choke flap open) Apply the throttle gently but firmly and watch where the fuel squirts out of the accelerator nozzles. It should come out readily in a fairly strong stream strait toward the venturis. If it does not or if it is just a "dribble" type squirt. Then you have confirmed the need for an overhaul.

I recommend overhauling the carburetor as opposed to purchasing a remanufactured one. Just because I've had better luck that way. (I may be biased a bit because I've overhauled and modified hunderds of these sucessfully)

If this answer has helped you please ACCEPT the answer.

I don't get compensated until you ACCEPT. Bonuses and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated as well.

if there is anything else I can do for you please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanx! -Rixster