Pragueress, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified technician; former ASE master Technician; Automotive instructor

2000 Hyundai Elantra: 5th..clutch..neutral, or starting..1st gear

I have a 2000 Hyundai Elantra. When I shift gears from 1st, to 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, I hear an increasing "whirring or high pitched" grinding sound. It is not present with the clutch depressed and coasting, in neutral, or starting out in 1st gear.
Category: Car
Expert:  Pragueress replied 7 years ago.

Please make this a little clearer for me. If you are in fifth gear you have the noise, but if you press the clutch it goes away? If the answer is yes the you are developing a release bearing problem.

Please remember to hit the accept button and let me know if you need more help

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is the same in all gears including 5th, when I push the clutch pedal in and coast, the noise goes away. there is also no noise when in neutral and reving engine or starting in first.

Obviously not in the transmission thank God.

Still believe its the release bearing, but let your mechanic check it carefully before throwing parts at it. May want to also check the pilot bearing if the work gets this deep.

please remember to hit the accept button so that I can get paid