James, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  over 8 years exp chevy to jaguar your covered mobile mechanic for 5 years expert on diagnostics
14089817

start car..sputtered..times car wont start or dies started happening

Customer Question

used a different key to start car, when used original key again, car sputtered and then died, continuing problem in that at times car won't start or dies   started happening at the time we used a different key
Category: Car
Expert:  James replied 5 years ago.
hello
just a few questions
how many miles on the car ?
dose your key have a chip in it ?
have you reset the battery ?

this will help us start>
James, Auto Mechanic
Experience: over 8 years exp chevy to jaguar your covered mobile mechanic for 5 years expert on diagnostics
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no chip, did not reset battery battery never disconnected, 73000 miles
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
r u there?
Expert:  James replied 5 years ago.
yes i am im getting some info and will be right back
Expert:  James replied 5 years ago.
when i say chip for the key just want to make shore we are talking about the computer chip
and not just a chiped key .

also the other key you tried was this a key for a lincoln
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no chip in key - (at least noT showing as it does in the Camaro) - other key used was either the second key that came with the car or the valet key - have both - second key is identical to first key
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
mAYBE IT has nothing to do with they key, eh my son tells me that there is probably a chip in the head of the key (not seen) after other key used, car sputtered out of the driveway and then died and would not restart had to replace fuse it appears fuel pumps are not coming on
Expert:  James replied 5 years ago.

graphic

this is what you will need to do as your key has pats and can be the cause of your problem the key will give a different code to the computer control each time the car starts the key and pats know the next code and this may have been interrupted and

you will need to go to the dealer to get the system reprogramed or just reset but

my advice is to not use another key that has not been used for a long time.

If the present key has a thick head and the hole in the top of the key is offset like the one in the picture then you have PATS.

This key is not available at Wal-Mart or your local hardware show. It is available only at the dealer and from certain locksmiths.

The key must be programmed to your vehicle. This is a simple process if you already have two existing working keys for the car. If you don't have two keys then you will have to go to the dealer or to a locksmith with the special equipment needed to program these types of keys. This will cost you from $50-$75 to have this done.

please if you have any questions just ask i will be here

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what is pats?
Expert:  James replied 5 years ago.
http://www.drdetailshop.com/555P.htm

Passive Anti Theft (PAT)

Anti-Theft—PATS
The passive anti-theft system (PATS) contains the following components:

theft indicator
encoded ignition key
transceiver module
instrument cluster
powertrain control module (PCM)
standard corporate protocol (SCP) communication network
The PATS uses radio frequency identification technology to deter a driveaway theft. Passive means that it does not require any activity from the user. This system is known as SecuriLock® in North America, Safeguard® in the U.K. and PATS in continental Europe. This information can be found in owners literature.

The PATS uses a specially encoded ignition key. Each encoded ignition key contains a permanently installed electronic device called a transponder. Each transponder contains a unique electronic identification code, with over 72 million billion combinations.

Each encoded ignition key must be programmed into the vehicle's instrument cluster (the instrument cluster is also known as a hybrid electronic cluster [HEC]), before it can be used to start the engine. There are special diagnostic procedures outlined in the workshop manual that must be carried out if new encoded ignition keys are to be installed.

The encoded key is larger than a traditional ignition key. The key does not require batteries and should last the life of the vehicle.

The transceiver module communicates with the encoded ignition key. This module is located behind the steering column shroud and contains an antenna connected to a small electronics module. During each vehicle start sequence, the transceiver module reads the encoded ignition key identification code and sends the data to the instrument cluster.

The control functions are contained in the instrument cluster. This module carries out all of the PATS functions such as receiving the identification code from the encoded ignition key and controlling engine enable. The instrument cluster initiates the key interrogation sequence when the vehicle ignition switch is turned to RUN or START.

The PATS uses the PCM to enable or disable the engine. The instrument cluster communicates with the PCM over the SCP network in order to enable engine operation. The instrument cluster and the PCM use sophisticated messages in order to prevent a theft. The instrument cluster and the PCM share security data (when first installed together) that makes them a matched pair. After this security data sharing, these modules will not function in other vehicles. The shared PCM ID is remembered even if the battery is disconnected. The instrument cluster also stores the vehicle's key identification code even if the battery is disconnected.