JOES SHOP
JOES SHOP, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECH 30+ YRS FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC ADVANCED DIAGNOSTICS AND TRANSMISSION REPAIRS.
9638808

A dead battery, while jumping the anti theft..car wont start

Customer Question

It started with a dead battery, while jumping the anti theft must of activated now the car won't start. 1998 cadiliac deville northstar
Category: Car
Expert:  JOES SHOP replied 7 years ago.
Do you have a remote button? If so close and lock the doors. wait 30 seconds and look at the security light, it should be blinking. Unlock the doors and try to start the car, if it starts the alarm system is okay and reset. If not repeat proceedure with the key. Go through the steps carefully, any change will not work and you will have to start over. Thanks, Joe
JOES SHOP, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE MASTER TECH 30+ YRS FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC ADVANCED DIAGNOSTICS AND TRANSMISSION REPAIRS.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I tried and still nothing
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
well you have the money and my car still doesn't start, and you said we could work on the problem haven't heard from you in a day thank you
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer if your vehicle has activated the theft deterrent system then try this and it should be fine if that is the only issue:

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).

Important: The vehicle learns the password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6. Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the password).
  7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed (history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles).
Expert:  Jay replied 7 years ago.
Just curious about what happened with your car and how you fixed the problem?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I tried your suggestion and nothing I cranked the engine for a few seconds then let off, the security telltale never went on but I waited about 15 minutes and did the same procedure 2 more times still nothing I now have disconected the battery since Jan 4 am open for more suggestions
Expert:  JOES SHOP replied 7 years ago.
Is it possible you crossed the jumper cables when jumping your car? Thanks, Joe
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No I had positive on battery and negative on frame.
Expert:  JOES SHOP replied 7 years ago.

You may have a different problem then the alarm. Try to reset it again if it still does not work we may want to confirm the problem is in the alarm before we go further. Thanks, Joe

P.S. do you have test equiptment?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
tried again nothing no test equipment.
Expert:  JOES SHOP replied 7 years ago.
Okay, let me due a little research. I will get back with you soon. Thanks, Joe