JOES SHOP
JOES SHOP, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECH 30+ YRS FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC ADVANCED DIAGNOSTICS AND TRANSMISSION REPAIRS.
9638808

Accelerator..power steering..5) leaking valves, 6) water pump..rotor

Went in yesterday for an oil change and a new "noise" when I touch the accelerator. Came out with an estimate of $2788. for 1)serpentine pulley, 2) power steering belt, 3) AC belt, 4)timing belt, 5) leaking valves, 6) water pump, 7)"tune-up" requiring plugs, wires, cap and rotor, 8) throttle something cleaned, 9) intake and exhaust valves, and more that I can't remember right now. My husband doubts that this car even has wires, distributor cap or rotor. What should I REALLY be looking for at 61,000 miles?
Category: Car
Expert:  mike replied 8 years ago.
Hi need more info. What make model and year of car do you have. Mike
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi Mike, I have a 2002 Mazda Millenia. Absolutely no problems up to now. The "noise" is kind of a whooshing, of shushing sound only when I touch the accelerator. I can only hear it when close to a wall or another car or even when standing still sometimes. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  mike replied 8 years ago.
Hi I will leave this for another expert as I am not that all familar with yor model. Thanks mike
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX hope this will be soon.
Expert:  JOES SHOP replied 8 years ago.
Do you have any other driveability problems? Does your car Missfire, Die, Hesitate, anything? What engine does you car have in it? If it is a 2.5 ltr. It does not have plug wires or even a distributor (let alone a cap and rotor). If it is a 2.3 0r 3.0 it has a distributor but no cap, rotor, or plug wires. The distributor only acts as a crank sensor and trigger. All engines use coil packs that mount on each plug. I would highly recommend getting at least a second opinion before paying out that kind of money. The noise can be an exhaust problem, possible catalytic converter. Or vacuum leaks. Thanks, Joe
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My car has had NO other problems up to this point. I'm not sure of the engine, but I will check and go by your information. The dealership told me I POSITIVELY had to have the timing belt replaced at thie time, 61,000 miles - before they even took it to the back. My husband is skeptical -- what do you think? Thanks, Pat
Expert:  JOES SHOP replied 8 years ago.

Pat,

The manufacturer rcommends replacing the timing belt on both the 2.3 and 2.5 engines at 60,000 miles. The timing belt replacement however is a maintenance requirement, not a complete valve job. I would still get another opinion about the noise. And possibly the maintenance also. Thanks, Joe

JOES SHOP, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE MASTER TECH 30+ YRS FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC ADVANCED DIAGNOSTICS AND TRANSMISSION REPAIRS.