Rixster
Rixster, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner Rix Automotive & Mobile Repair 27+ Years Exp. with all makes and models cars and Lt. Trucks
14064412

Accessory belt pulleys on 2002 Subaru Outback Wagon, 6 cyl.

Accessory belt pulleys on 2002 Subaru Outback Wagon, 6 cyl. 3.0. About a year ago my serpentine belt broke as I was pulling into my driveway. I replaced the belt, and this lasted about 10 months. About 6 weeks ago, the bearings in the tensioner pulley seized up and the pulley snapped off. I assumed that it was damaged the first time the belt broke, so I replaced the tensioner assembly and the belt. Just today, I'm driving down the highway and now the idler pulley seizes up causing the belt to come off. Is there an underlying problem that can be causing this. I'm sure that I've used the correct belt and installed correctly from the routing diagram in the service manual. Is the idler pulley as easy to replace as the tensioner?
Category: Car
Expert:  Rixster replied 7 years ago.

Hello! I'm Rixster...

I'm going to try to help you with this.

Most serpentine belt issues are caused by pulley mis-alignments. The tensioner wears and can become mis-aligned and cause excessive stress and heat on the belt. The Idler and Tens. pulleys are the weakest links in the series of pulleys guiding this belt. graphic

These will wear out first and may have been a factor in last years episode with the belt.

If you are replacing these (especially these two, Idler &/or Tens.) inspect both at the same time. They are replaced with equal skill. Also I highly recommend going with OE parts. Aftermarket is ok for the most part but if you are doing these services yourself you'll have limited warranty room and it's just best to go with what will work in the long term.

If this answer has helped please ACCEPT the answer.

I get paid only if you ACCEPT.

If there is anything else I can do for you please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thanx! -Rixster