ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience:  +15 years experience on imports and domestics. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.

The electric door lock is sticking..front Passenger side..lock/unlock

Customer Question

The electric door lock is sticking on the front Passenger side when I use my key to lock/unlock the car. Where do I start? Jim
Category: Car
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 7 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer!

This will either be a problem with the lock itself, or the linkage'latch in the door.
The best thing you can do is try cleaning the key, and the lock.. graphite spray is what is used to clean and lubricate lock mechanisms. If doing the lock doesn't work, then you will have to open the door panel, and unhook the linkage to see if it is a problem in the lock, latch, or the linkage..

If it comes to that, and you need to know how to get the panel off, just let me know! Laughing
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I also read the answer and it didn't help me one bit. I was looking for a solution to the problem other than my assumption. The key lock is working fine on all the other doors. Nothing is sticking and graphite is not the answer. It is and was obvious that the locking actuator must be replaced and I am where I started, removing the inner door panel but first I will check to see if there is a failed fuse somewhere.
> Doc
Let me know if you need anything else.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

My suspicion centers on the linkage and the electric lock actuator. I shall know more when I remove the panel. I suspect the linkage may have been bent or the actuator damaged when the passenger applied pressure to the passenger side door handle, binding the mechanism at the moment of activation by the key. The actuator may have bent the linkage. I will know more tomorrow. I located a diagram on-line of how the device works and I have some engineering skills. Tomorrow tells the tale.

I was right, the actuator is jammed and the linkage bent, so no your answer wasn't any help and I ended up doing what I started out to do. Remove the inner door panel. Doc