importdoctor
importdoctor, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years experience
9414525

Saturn: the tranny is slipping..first start..park

My Saturn 1995 sl2 seems like the tranny is slipping. When I first start off I have no problems until about 30 min. of driving. I park the car try to restart it is like the battery is dead. It wont even turn over. Come back once the car has cooled downed starts right up. Help
Category: Car
Expert:  importdoctor replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using just answer. Do you have 2 seperate issues here?

-WHen the car won't start do you still have power to the radio/headlamps/etc? Any noises when starting?

-Define transmission "slipping"? Slams gears or the motor free revs?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
On the first part , do you still have power to the radio/headlamps/etc. there is nothing as far power- no lights at all. When I come back later the car starts up. The slipping is the the motor is reving up but very liittle movement out of the car. Maybe a ground loop for the car?
IF you have no power but the battery tests good/does not drain then yes you have a power or ground issue. Double check to be sure the battery terminals are both TIGHT. THese side post batteries are known for leaking also which can cause some internal corrosion in the battery cables. Trace both cables and make sure connections are tight. The transmission- be sure the level is good, if this is intermittent then it may be related to low voltage from your other issue.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The level in tranny is good. I will look the batt. connections over . What about the coolant temperature sensor would that need to be replaced.
No, coolant temperature sensor issues are VERY common on these cars, I worked on them for years but they will not cause the symptom you are experiencing. Trace power/ground cables first.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks