Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.

2002 Sonata: cylinder..stopped running..It cranks but doesnt start

Hello and Happy New Year !!! The other day, my 4 cylinder 2002 Sonata just suddenly stopped running while we were driving. It cranks but doesn't start. I used my high voltage stick and there was no spark at the coil packs. I also looked at the timing belt and it appears to be in good visual condition. There was no teeth missing on the belt and on evidence of belt shavings or dry rot. I see a round cover on the left rear side of the block. Is there a crank sensor in there.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.
HI there! Yes, there is a crank sensor hiding down there. It is behind the timing belt. The harness is actually plugged in at the top of the engine,then travels down between the a/c compressor brackect and the p/s pump. It is the likely culprit. If you can get your hands on a code reader,there will be a code stored in the ecm for it if it is bad. Hope this helps! Thanks