brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

2004 cadillac deville: window regulator..door panel without damage

how to remove and replace driver window regulator for 2004 cadillac deville. need instructions on how to remove door panel without damage.
Category: Car
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.

Here are instructions on how to remove and install the panel. If you still need help just reply, if not click ACCEPT when we are done.

Thanks,

JB

Removal Procedure

1. Position the window fully downward.

1. Ensure the manual lock knob (1) is in the unlock position.
  2. Insert a flat bladed tool into the top service notch in order to disengage the locking clip (2) located at the front of the manual lock knob (1).
  3. Remove the manual lock knob (1).

1. Remove the inside handle bezel from the inner door panel in the following order:
  1. Hold the inside handle to the open position.
  2. Insert a flat bladed tool at the front lower corner of the bezel.
  3. Pry outward on the bezel.
  4. Remove the bezel from the inner door panel.
  1. Remove the screw attaching the inside door handle to the sheet metal.

1. Use the J 36796 or J 38778 in order to release the eight retainers around the outside edges of the door trim panel.

1. Slide the door trim panel (1) upwards to release it from the following:
    • The alignment datums (4)
    • The eight retainers
    • The arm rest steel retainer clips (3)
    • The inner belt molding (2)
  1. Disconnect the door trim panel electrical connector.

Installation Procedure

1. Slide the electrical connector (4) into position on the water deflector (1).
  2. Remove the steel retainer clips (2) from the arm rest pull handle brackets.
  3. Slide the steel clips (2) into the nylon nuts (3).

1. Install the door trim panel to the inner door in the following order:
  1. Position the door trim panel (1) downward over the following:
    • The manual lock rod
    • The inner belt molding (2)
  1. Engage the door trim panel simultaneously into the following:
    • The alignment datums (4)
    • The electrical connector
    • The armrest pull handle retainer clips (3)
    • The eight retainers

Caution: This screw must be properly installed. This screw is critical in order to maintain retention of the inside handle to the slider-glide mechanism. Failure to properly install this screw may allow the door to unlatch during a collision, resulting in personal injury.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.

1. Install the screw attaching the inside door handle to the sheet metal. Tighten the screw to 0.5 N.m (4 lb in).
  2. Install the inside handle bezel to the inner door panel in the following order:
  2. Insert the rear hook on the bezel to the wood trim tab.
  3. Press the forward end of the bezel inward until it is fully seated.

Important: Ensure the manual lock rod is in the full up/unlocked position.

1. Position the manual lock knob (1) into the bezel opening until the locking clip (2) bottoms out on the bezel.
  2. Engage the locking clip (2) located at the front of the lock knob (1) to the lock rod.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so far so good but I am removing the door panel because my window will not come up and am assuming its the regulator. I need instructions on how to remove and replace the regulator as well if that is the problem.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.

No problem. I will attach instructions on that also.

If you still need help just reply, if not click Accept when we are done.

Thanks,

JB

Window Regulator Replacement - Front Door (Standard Door)

Removal Procedure

Caution: Refer to Express Window Down Caution in Cautions and Notices.

Important: This vehicle is equipped with express up, torque sensitive window on the front door windows.

When the battery or the power has been removed from the front door module, the front door module will need to be reprogrammed after power is restored and all repairs are completed.

1. Remove the door trim panel.
  2. Remove the door module
  3. Remove the water deflector.

1. Remove the inside handle assembly (4) in order to gain access to the window clamp attachment bolts:
  1. Carefully pry the front of the assembly (4) rearward.
  2. Pull the front of the assembly (4) outward.
  3. Slide the assembly (4) rearward to remove.
  1. Disconnect the handle rod (3) from the clip guide (2). Caution: Refer to Express Window Down Caution in Cautions and Notices.
  2. Reconnect the power window switch and module.
  3. Raise the window to the full up position.
  4. Tape the window in place. Caution: Refer to Glass and Sheet Metal Handling Caution in Cautions and Notices.

1. Loosen the window clamp attachment fasteners.
  2. Lower the regulator clamps (2) to the full down position.

1. Disconnect the electrical connector from the window regulator motor.
  2. Remove the window regulator to inner door panel fasteners (2, 3).
  3. Remove the window regulator (1) from the inner door panel.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the window regulator (1) through the access hole of the inner door panel. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.
  2. Install the window regulator fasteners (2, 3). Tighten the fasteners to 9 N.m (80 lb in).
  3. Connect the electrical connector to the window regulator motor.

Important: Ensure that the rubber insulators are properly attached to the window regulator clamps.

1. Carefully raise the window regulator clamps (2) to the full up position, engaging the window (1).
  2. Remove the tape from the window.
  3. Complete the following to properly position the window:
  1. Lower the window approximately two inches.
  2. Seat the window fully rearward against the center pillar.
  3. Adjust the window forward 2-3 mm (5/64-1/8 in).
  4. Set the glass with the clamp fasteners. Tighten the window clamp fasteners to 10.5 N.m (93 lb in).
  1. Disconnect the power window switch and module.

1. Position the rear of the inside handle assembly (4) into the opening of the inner panel.
  2. Press the front of the assembly (4) inward until it fully engages the inner panel.
  3. Connect the handle rod (3) to the clip guide (2).
  4. Install the water deflector.
  5. Install the door module
  6. Install the door trim panel. .

brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,