brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

2002 GMC yukon: power steering just stopped working, no noise

power steering just stopped working, no noise, no issues, just stopped, 2002 GMC yukon XL
Category: Car
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.

How did you check the pump?

Thanks,

JB

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
just visually
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.

Sometimes what happens is the shaft breaks inside the pump and you can't see it. If you don't have a gauge simply loosen a pressure line and start the car. If fluid blows out the pump is good. If it just drips out because the line is loose then the pump needs replaced.

Thanks,

JB

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
does pump have a hi low valve built in for highway and parking lot speeds
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.

Yes, in the back of the pump.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is it possible that the valve got stuck in high speed position and if so how would you release it
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.

If stuck it would still work fine when driving just not when turning in a parking lot.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
works grate going down highway just very hard in drive way
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
OK, I thought you had none at all? Anyway then the solenoid could be the problem also there is a sensor in the steering colmn that controls it (more than likely the cause).
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where on the steering colum and can you test it
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.

Make sure getting power to it and that it is not open.

Instructions on how to replace:

Steering Wheel Position Sensor Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Set the front wheels in the straight-ahead position. Set the steering wheel in the LOCKED position.
  2. Disable the Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) .

1. Remove the nut and the bolt (1) from the upper intermediate shaft connection and slide the intermediate steering shaft down.

1. Remove the position sensor connector by using a suitable tool in order to pull the connector down around the right side of the steering column for accessibility. Important: Do not apply force to the sensor and the bearing in a sideways direction.
  2. Remove the position sensor and bearing assembly from the steering column jacket by pulling the assembly straight out.
  3. Remove the position sensor from the clips in the bearing assembly.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the position sensor into the bearing assembly. Important: Do not apply force to the sensor and the bearing in a sideways direction.
  2. Install the bearing into the steering column jacket.

2.1.Align the notches on the bearing and the column jacket.
2.2.Seat the bearing fulling into the jacket.

1. Connect the position sensor connector. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Slide the shaft up to install the bolt and the nut (1) to the upper intermediate shaft to steering column connection. Tighten the upper intermediate shaft connection to 47 Nm (35 ft. lbs.).
  2. Enable the SIR system.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is this under the dash or under the hood
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
Under the dash
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,