George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist
13574682

2000 Saturn: sl1..it runs very momentarily then shuts off..000 miles

The car is a 2000 Saturn SL1. When I start the car, it runs very momentarily then shuts off. The car has 100,000 miles on it and has never had a problem. It may have something to do with security, as this light comes on. Maybe if the car ran longer, it might go off.
Category: Car
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

You say the security light comes on? Is it blinking?

Are you using an original key?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No. The light is not blinking.
Yes. The key is original.
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

Ok the first thing to do is to have a fully charged battery and turn the key on for ten minutes unitl the light goes out. It may take longer than ten minutes but it will not take less. When the light goes out turn the key to start then to off and try to start the car.

Let me know what happens

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So sorry, but I told you wrong. The security ligh is blinking.
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.
Ok still try the ten minute relearn but turn the key to crank and let it return to the on position then let it sit for ten minutes. This may work the first time or you may have to do it two more times after the light goes out. If the DRL headlights are on pull the emergency brake to turn them out.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your help. Let me see if this works before I accept. Don't worry, I will do
right by you.
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.
OK I want to get this right for you
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hooray. The car started. However, the security light is on but now it doesn't blink.
Thanks a whole bunch. You have been very helpful.
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

If the security light is on you will have this problem again.

The passlock sensor and the keylock cylinder will have to be replaced. Do not go anywhere you will be stranded. You can try the relearn procedure again if it wont crank but the security module is not happy yet.

If you have the letters "PK3" stamped on the shank of the key try this procedure. As long as the light is on or flashing you are not done.

Insert a master key (black head) into the ignition
switch. 2. Turn to the On position without starting the
engine. The security light should illuminate and stay on.
3. Wait approximately 10 minutes or until the security
light turns off. 4. Turn off the ignition switch and wait 5
seconds. 5. Repeat steps 2 through 4 two more times with
the same key. 6. Turn the ignition off. The vehicle will
now learn the key transponder information on the next start
cycle. 7. Start the vehicle. If vehicle starts and runs
normally, and security light is off, the relearn is
complete.

Let me know what happens