brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

2001 Alero: wont turn..alarm because the lights come..acc or on

My 2001 Alero key wont turn in the ignition. I think it may be something with the alarm because the lights come on when i insert the key. It will not physically turn from the off position to the acc or on.

Even thought the steering wheel is locked it will turn a little. Turn the wheel as far to the left as you can and turn the key at the same time. If that doesn't work then turn the wheel to the right as far as you can and turn the key at the same time. If that doesn't work tap on the end of the key with a hammer and turn it at the same time. If none of these work the lock cylinder will need to be replaced.

If you still need help just reply, if not click ACCEPT when we are done.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

THANKS! I already knew about turning the wheel and tried that numerous times without success. The hammer didnt work either. I am going to check into the lock cylinder replacement cost. THANKS again and have a HAPPY NEW YEAR !