ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience:  +15 years experience on imports and domestics. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.

17 degrees..unable to close it - its an automatic latch..kicks

Customer Question

1/1/09 Pliladelphia, PA I opened the trunk this morning (it's frigid - 17 degrees) and I was unable to close it - it's an automatic latch and when I lowered the trunk to where I normally but it before the automatic stuff kicks in, nothing happened. I don't know whether its frozen or broken. Any suggestions would be appreciated. [email protected]
Category: Car
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 7 years ago.
The battery might be frozen. Try to start the engine, and see if there is any power to it? If not, you should consider getting a more cold cranking amp battery. I use 750 CCA batteries, personally.

If you need anything else, just let me know!
Yes, it very well could be a latch problem, then.. another thing you might want to make sure of (I am guilty of doing it myself) the pull cord to open the trunk from the inside... it may be sitting on top of where the trunk is supposed to be to close... silly me, I fought with one for about 10-15 minutes, before I looked and seen that handle laying across there.. moved it, and the trunk shut! lol

Anyways, here is a view of where that motor is in there, they are also pretty common to fail: