Rich
Rich, Technician
Experience:  ase certified, mitsubishi certified, kia certified and landrover certified technician
10415458

Limited: landrover..Transmission fault..system fault..the gears

Customer Question

I have a 2006 LR3 landrover, this morning it was fine but after work when i started the engine it says "Transmission fault, limited gears available" and " system fault, special programs unavailable" and the gears would not move. It's stuck or locked or something. What should I do?
Category: Car
Expert:  Rich replied 5 years ago.

Hi Andrew,

My name isXXXXX am a Land Rover tech, as odd as it sounds you may just have a bad brake light switch. I replace 3 last week alone on LR3`s. The problem is, even after the switch is replaced the fault codes will have to be manually cleared with a computer.

Being a 2006 as long as you are under 50,000 miles roadside assistance will come tow the truck for free to your dealer or if you have the apco extended warranty it will also cover this.

Kind regards,

Rich

Rich, Technician
Experience: ase certified, mitsubishi certified, kia certified and landrover certified technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
HI, my car is 50 thousands and 200 miles, I think it's out of warranty. so should I get the brake light switch replaced anywhere or it has to be at a land Rover dealer? can I get the fault codes cleared anywhere. and do you know how much it would cost me? thanks
Expert:  Rich replied 5 years ago.

Hi Andrew,

There are only 2 diagnostic systems I know of that works on this truck and they are the Land Rover testbook of course and Autologic with the Land Rover software. Both of these are very expensive so not allot of shops have these. Most technicians should be able to replace this switch. Sometimes cycling the ignition key on and off 10 times will set the historic and not cause any problems, this is not a Land Rover approved method but works 50% of the time depending on the fault codes.

Let me know if I can assist more.

Regards,

Rich

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX think i should get it towed to the dealer? it's very far from my house, however, i"m a student and going back to school next week. And do you know about how much it would cost me if i bring it to land rover? or if not, if i just get a technician to replace the switch, it would just happens again if the fault codes are not cleared right? thanks alot !!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
oh one more thing, if it's not the switch, i would have to replace the whole transmission? oh god, it'll probadly about 4 thousands
Expert:  Rich replied 5 years ago.

You are not going to have to replace the transmission.

Prices vary by region, here in central Florida at our dealership it would cost around $250.00 parts and labor for the switch and code diagnostics.

If the switch is replaced and the codes not cleared the only benefit would be being able to shift but the trans may not change gears properly and cause other problems with the trans.

You can try the key cycling like I described in the last post to see if that helps after replacing the switch. Maybe you could call around to some local shops and ask if they have the equipment to communicate this truck.

Of course the dealer is going to have the parts and software to expedite the repair so you can get to school on time and if your truck needs a software update during the repair they will have the latest patches available. My feelings is the dealer to be safe because I they have seen this happen on others so they know what to look for.