Rixster
Rixster, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner Rix Automotive & Mobile Repair 27+ Years Exp. with all makes and models cars and Lt. Trucks
14064412

Deville: shift indicator..park doors..unlock..trunk will not open

I have a 2001Cadillac Deville, the shift indicator will inadvertently not display the gear position. When this happens, all functions of the automobile that correlate to the gear do not function i.e. in park doors will not unlock,fuel door does not function and trunk will not open. If the ignition is turned off while the indicator does not show park the car will not start immediately. I have to wait around 20 minutes and its almost like everything reboots and the car will start. I have taken it to the Cadillac dealership on several occasions. They changed a range switch inside the transmission. Didn't work. Any help would be appreciated.
Category: Car
Expert:  Rixster replied 8 years ago.

Hello! I'm Rixster...

I'm going to try and help you on this but I'm going to need some info first to get started.

How long has this been happening?

How many Miles?

Have there been any modification made recently?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
This has been going on for approximately 2months, The car has 142,000 miles and I recently had a GM certified 4T80E transmission installed.
Expert:  Rixster replied 8 years ago.

It sounds like there is a short or intermittent ground fault in either the interpreter module (BCM) or the wiring to it.

It is possible there may be a pinched wire in the harness for the indicator down by the trans. that may have happened at trans. install.

To properly diagnose this problem you may need a "Tech II" Scan tool or basically take it to the dealership. If the Range switch is not the problem the switch interpreter is and it is logical it would cause all the other symtoms if it is the BCM (Body Control Module)

If this answer has helped you Please (Accept)

We are paid only after you accept the answer. If there is anything else I can help with please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thanx! -Rixster