Rixster
Rixster, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner Rix Automotive & Mobile Repair 27+ Years Exp. with all makes and models cars and Lt. Trucks
14064412

CTS: a resonace noise when running with engine speed at 1700 rpm

Customer Question

I have a 06' CTS with 14700 miles. The car has a resonace noise when running with engine speed at 1700 rpm. The noise is indepenent of the car speed as long as the engine is at 1700 rpm. If I keep 1700rpm, the noise become continuous and a bit louder. When park the car and let the engine run at 1700 rpm, there is a similar pitch noise from under the car. Could this be the exhaust pipe noise?
Category: Car
Expert:  Rixster replied 8 years ago.

Hello! I'm Rixster...

I'm going to see if I can help you out here but I'm going to need some info first to get started...

How long has this been going on?

Have you performed any recent modifications?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I just bought the car. Went to dealer twice and everything are OEM original.

Expert:  Rixster replied 8 years ago.

Well I did a bit of research on this last eve. and I was able to find a service bulletin that might help you determine your case.

Check Out this bulletin #06-06-01-018

Bulletin No.: 06-06-01-018

Date: August 02, 2006

INFORMATION

Subject:
Information on Very Faint Engine Whine Noise At Speeds of 0-48 KM/H (0-30 MPH) At 1000-2500 RPM On 3.6L LY7 Engine

Models:
2004-2007 Buick Rendezvous
2005-2007 Buick Allure (Canada Only), LaCrosse
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS, SRX
2005-2007 Cadillac STS

with 3.6L V6 Engine (VIN 7 - RPO LY7)

A very faint engine whine-type noise heard at speeds of 0-48 km/h (0-30 mph) at 1000-2500 RPM may be caused by the primary camshaft drive chain. This type of noise may be amplified by the vehicle's body structure. The noise may be present at idle (hot or cold) and, in some vehicles, this noise may be louder.

GM Powertrain Engineering states that this type of noise is characteristic and/or normal for this engine. No abnormal engine wear or internal damage will result due to this noise condition.

If an engine whine, whistle or ringing-type noise is heard from the front of the engine and increases in intensity as the engine RPM increases, refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 05-06-01-013B.

An engine noise primarily around 1600 RPM that can be described as a howl will typically be coming from the exhaust system. This is also considered a characteristic and/or normal type of noise.

This has been copied from a public forum...

If this has helped your cause Please ACCEPT this answer!

This information takes time and money to find for you.

Bonuses and Positive feedback are appreciated too.

If there is anything else I can help with please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanx! -Rixster

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

This answer did not answer my question exactly. The resonance noise is at exactly 1700RPM. It practically doesn't do it at all when it's cold, but once it warms up the noise makes it a little uncomfortable in the cabin, especially since 1700RPM falls right in line with about 45-50mph which is where most driving time is spent.

Another post I found said: 'We had a resonance drone/vibration in our Tahoe at a certain speed. Took it to the Chevy dealer and they were aware of it. They installed a clamp on weight at a specific place on the exhaust that completely eliminated it.' This cound be the answer I am looking for. Will take to the dealer to see if they can add some clamp to the pipes.

Expert:  Rixster replied 8 years ago.
Well Please let me know what you came up with!...
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I will post the solution here if the dealer will fix it.
Expert:  Rixster replied 8 years ago.

Sounds good! I'm kinda curious now...