George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist
13574682

2002 HYUNDAI ACCENT: AUTOMATIC..WONT SHIFT INTO..OVERDRIVE

Customer Question

2002 HYUNDAI ACCENT AUTOMATIC TRANS. WON"T SHIFT INTO OVERDRIVE RELACED TPS SENSOR
Category: Car
Expert:  George H. replied 8 years ago.

Hello I will assist you,

Is the check engine light on?

Have you checked the condition of the transmission fluid?

How does the transmission shift otherwise?

Why was the TPS replaced?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON FLUID WAS CHANGED 3 MONTHS AGO TRANSMISSION SHIFTS OK IT"S WHEN I ACCELRATE TO PASS OR NORMAL DRIVING KICKS OUT OVERDRIVE RPM RISES I REPLACED TPS DUE TO SMALL VACUM LEAK AROUND O RING SEAL
Expert:  George H. replied 8 years ago.

Do you know the code stored in the computer. If you do not have a code reader Autozone may be able to scan it for free. If you get a P0700 it is just a request from the trans computer to turn on the check engine light and there will be codes stored in the transmission that have to be read. I suspect the kickdown switch is faulty but it would be better if I knew what the computer thinks is the problem.

I know you probably tried this but the button on the shifter is in the OD position?

Let me know what you can