Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor

I HAVE A 1995 GMC JIMMY. I HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THE EGR VALVE.

I HAVE A 1995 GMC JIMMY. I HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THE EGR VALVE. IT GETS BITS OF CARBON ACCUMULATING IN IT FROM TIME TO TIME AND THE CAR BARELY RUNS AND THE EXHAUST SMELLS LIKE ROTTEN EGGS, I HAVE TO TAKE IT TO THE SHOP, THEY CLEAN IT OUT AND CLEAR THE FAULT CODES IN THE SYSTEM, I BELIEVE THATS ALL THEY DO. IS THIS SOMETHING I CAN DO MYSELF? IT COSTS ME A LOT OF TIME AND MONEY AS I HAVE TO LEAVE THE CAR EVERYTIME THIS HAPPENS.
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

What size engine in your Jimmy?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
V6 262 4.3L
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

This is something you can do yourself. The EGR valve is located at the top right of the engine next to the throttle body.

Remove the EGR valve, and using carb cleaner, spray inside ports of EGR valve, and use a small tooth brush or pipe cleaner to clean out the ports of carbon buildup. Always use a new gasket when removing the EGR valve.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Except Linear EGR Valve

See Figures 11 and 12

graphic

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the air cleaner assembly from the engine.
  3. If equipped, unplug the valve electrical connection.
  4. Remove the EGR valve vacuum tube from the valve.
  5. Remove the EGR bolts and/or nuts and remove the EGR valve and gasket.

To install:

1. Install a new gasket to the EGR valve and install the EGR valve to the manifold.
  2. Install the nuts and/or bolts. Tighten the bolts to 17 ft. lbs. (24 Nm) and the nuts to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
  3. Connect the vacuum tube to the EGR valve.
  4. If equipped, attach the valve electrical connection.
  5. Install the air cleaner and connect the negative battery cable.

Linear EGR Valve

Note the position of the EGR valve prior to removal. Do not rotate the valve 180º.

1. Unplug the valve electrical connection..
  2. Unfasten the valve retainers, then remove the valve and the gasket.

graphic

To install:

1. Clean all gasket residue from the gasket mating surfaces.
  2. Install a new gasket and the valve.
  3. Install the valve retainers.
  4. On 1994-97 2.2L engines and 1994-95 4.3L engines, tighten the valve retainers to 17 ft. lbs. (24 Nm). On 1998-99 2.2L models, tighten the retainers to 19 ft. lbs. (26 Nm).
  5. On 1996-99 4.3L models, tighten the retainers on the first pass to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm) and on the final pass to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
  6. Attach the valve electrical connections and connect the negative battery cable.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Sorry, forgot to include resetting the codes:

graphic

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THIS DOESNT LOOK LIKE WHERE MY EGR VALVE IS ON MY ENGINE.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Ok, you have a linear EGR valve then. Should be bolted to top front of engine at intake:

graphic

Spray carb cleaner in port hole and use brush to clean out any carbon buildup. Make sure the pintle(the silver part on the bottom of photo above showing bottom of egr valve) is clean of carbon build-up.

Clean carbon build up out of port hole where egr valve bolts to .

On the linear EGR valve, if it is throwing a code every few weeks and having to be cleaned, you may need to go ahead and replace it.

Also, you want to clean carbon build up out of throttle body, and run a good top end cleaner to remove carbon buildup from injectors and valves.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

DO YOU HAVE PICTURES OF THIS TYPE EGR ON THE ENGINE?

Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Here is one. It is located at top front, between the alternator and the compressor-#5 in photo:

graphic

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Here is a diagram showing the egr close-up:

graphic