1999 Cadillac Catera: the throttle position sensor located..diagram

Customer Question

On a 1999 Cadillac Catera where is the throttle position sensor located? What free site can I go to get a free diagram of the throttle position sensor or the installation process of the throttle position sensor?
Category: Car
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 7 years ago.

The throttle position sensor is serviced as part of the throttle body. Here is how to replace this unit. Feel free to contact me with any questions! Good luck!

1. Partially drain the coolant system.
  2. Loosen the hose clamps to remove the air inlet hoses and the coolant hoses.
  3. Disconnect the vacuum hoses from the throttle body.
  4. Remove the throttle position (TP) sensor electrical connector.
    Object Number: 348827  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  5. Remove the throttle body assembly mounting bolts.
  6. Remove the TP sensor throttle body assembly.

Object Number: 21407  Size: SH

1. Install the throttle body assembly with the TP sensor. Ensure that the O-rings are properly positioned. The O-rings should seal to the intake plenum.
    Object Number: 348827  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

2. Install the mounting bolts.

Tighten the mounting bolts to 22 N·m (16 lb ft).

3. Install the vacuum hose, the air inlet hose, and the coolant hoses.
  4. Connect the TP sensor electrical connector.
  5. Perform the idle learn procedure by turning the key ON for 30 seconds while leaving the engine OFF to resume the normal idle.
  6. Check the engine coolant level. Refill the coolant if the reading is low.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
All the pictures of the diagram didn't come through. Can you resend them or show me where to get these pictures? Thank you
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 7 years ago.

If you click the view larger image the illustrations should show up.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The second picture didn't show up. What they ordered for me was the multiport fuel injection throttle position sensor or would the stand throttle position sensor do?
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 7 years ago.
The second illustration is not actually an illustration. That should not be there. Gm does not show that they service the sensor alone. It should only be available by replacing the complete throttle body assembly. This would include the body, the sensor, and the actuator.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The dealer of Cadillac sold me a Throttle position sensor (multiport fuel injection) alone. Not the body or the actuator. I paid $110 for it.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 7 years ago.
Do you have the part number for this part by chance?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Part number is XXXXX
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 7 years ago.

That is not a vaild acdelco or gm part number. Where are you getting this number from?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I actually got it from Oreilly's because the dealer sold me the standard one first and then they told me it wasn't it so one of the guys at the dealer told me to go with Oreillys since they were cheaper and I did. This second part is from Oreilly's.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 7 years ago.

Ok well I do see that what you got is to fit this vehicle. I work from gm's website and they show this all being replaced as one unit meaning the throttle body and so on. Here is an illustration that I have from another source.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So the installation instructions are the same for the throttle position sensor?
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 7 years ago.

I am still with you. I am trying to locate the correct procedure for just the sensor replacement. I am thinking the gm does not have one as gm shows this to be a complete unit.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay. Can you please forward it to me as soon as you locate the correct procedure for it since that is all that I will be replacing. Thank you so much for all your help.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 7 years ago.
No problem! As soon as I locate this info I will get back to you. I am also going to check with some other experts online to see if they have any helpful info. I am sorry for the delay!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can I get your direct phone number? Mine is XXX-XXX-XXXX. Please let me know because I need to know what else to do.