ASE Steve
ASE Steve, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop owner 16 yrs. ASE MASTER
13105408

Car makes a grinding noise when I turn the wheel..metal..scraping

car makes a grinding noise when I turn the wheel slightly to the left. sounds like metal scraping metal. Noticed it a few days ago. What could it be Im thinking its the CV joint if it is how much will that usually run me.
Category: Car
Expert:  ASE Steve replied 8 years ago.

Hello, You may want to check the wheel bearings and possibly the brakes in the front of your car. A typical cv joint usually makes a clicking noise on hard turns. the price will vary but most cars are around 150.00 to 200.00 parts and labor for a complete remanufactured axle including labor. If i have been helpful and answered your question then please click the accept button,I will remain available to answer any final questions you may have.

Thank you,

Steve.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
could be the brakes I know Im due for new brakes was told last time I had my oil change that I needed new brakes. but why would it make a sound when im not braking.
Expert:  ASE Steve replied 8 years ago.
When you turn sometimes the small amount of free play you have in your wheel bearings (small amount is normal) allows the brake rotor to come in contact with the wear bar. This will cause a screach or metal to metal noise. During braking the free play in the bearings is not an issue because the rotor is held up straight up by the force of the pads. Steve.