Your Auto Inspector
Your Auto Inspector, Assistant Service Manager
Experience:  Tires Plus
10675526

How to replace low beam drivers side bulb 2004 Saturn L300-2

Customer Question

how to replace low beam drivers side bulb 2004 Saturn L300-2
Category: Car
Expert:  Your Auto Inspector replied 8 years ago.

HEADLAMP ASSEMBLY OR HEADLAMP BULB REPLACEMENT

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

CAUTION: Halogen bulbs contain a gas under pressure. Handling a bulb improperly could cause it to shatter into flying glass fragments. To help avoid personal injury:

• Turn off the headlamp switch and allow the bulb to cool before changing bulbs. Leave the headlamp switch off until the bulb change is complete.
  • Always wear eye protection when changing a halogen bulb.
  • Handle the bulb only by its base. Avoid touching the glass.
  • Do not drop or scratch the bulb. Keep moisture away.
  • Place the used bulb in the new bulb's carton and dispose of it properly. Keep halogen bulbs out of the reach of children.

1. Remove the upper grille.graphic
  2. Remove the bolts from the headlamp.graphic
  3. Rotate the locking lever to release the ball and socket retainers (1).
  4. Remove the headlamp from the headlamp pocket.
  5. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the headlamp.
  6. Remove the headlamp from the vehicle.
  7. Remove the headlamp bulbs , if required. Twist the headlamp bulb counter clockwise and pull the bulb out of the headlamp assy.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
There appears to be another way to get to the bulb on the drivers side by moving what appears to be the fuse box next to the battery. this according to the Saturn forum. I posted to find out further details. I thought Saturn built these cars so they would be easy to work on. Worked on many cars in the past. I know how to extract the bulb once I can get to it. The diagrams provided are only marginally useful. Do you have any online resource where I can get an exploded parts view of the recommended procedure and steps involved? Or how to move aside the device next to the battery? That would appear the easiest route to the bulb.

Here is the diagram to remove the fuse box:

graphic

According to the Saturn manual, you need to remove the headlamp assy. to replace the headlight bulb. I would suggest following the recommended procedure. You may try to remove the fusebox to access the bulb, but I believe that would take more work than is necessary.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thank you for the information. However, a friend in the auto repair field came by and was able to change it by unbolting the battery, tilting it back just enough to work the old bulb out and put the new one in. Cost was two beers.
I like this service and will keep it bookmarked for future use.