mike
mike, bmw master tech
Experience:  ase certified.. bmw master tech
13313167

So went to replace the timing belt on my 98 subaru forester,

So went to replace the timing belt on my 98' subaru forester, interference engine, but didn't read the manual about lining up the arrows on the cam gears before I took the belt off. I did however mark them with a paint stick. Went to put it back together, and it just turned over, a little rough, but not bad. Had 1 backfire after about 30sec of turning over. Please Help. What can I do to fix my mistake and get to work in the morning?
Category: Car
Expert:  mike replied 6 years ago.
Hi ..Did you buy a factory belt or aftermarket belt. ? Does the belt have 3 white lines on it. Mike
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Mike, I'm assuming that it's an aftermarket. It has yellow lines. I've read the whole bit about where to position the lines in relation to the cam gears, but A. I didn't understand why and B. being that the gears weren't in the right position I didn't think it would matter.
Expert:  mike replied 6 years ago.

Hi I will send some repair instructions as you will have to start from scratch. I hope you did not bend any valves yet. Have seen this before at dealer cars towed in from just being a few marks off it will bend the valves. The marks are there for you to get the belt in the correct postion as each line will line up to one of the timing marks. Here are directions good luck Thanks mike

WARNING On interference engines, it is very important to replace the timing belt at the recommended intervals, otherwise expensive engine damage will likely result if the belt fails.Removal & Installation
2.5L DOHC Engine

When servicing the timing belt, note the following:

• The intake and exhaust camshafts can be rotated independently when the timing belt is removed. If the intake and exhaust valves are lifted off of their seats simultaneously, their heads will contact each other, possibly causing damage.
  • When the timing belt is removed, the camshafts are positioned so that none of the valves are lifted off of their seats, resulting in a "zero-lift" position.
  • The left-hand cylinder head camshafts must be rotated from the "zero-lift" position as little as possible when orienting it for timing belt installation, otherwise possible valve head interference may occur.
  • Never allow the camshafts to rotate in the direction shown in the accompanying illustration, which would cause both the intake and exhaust valves to lift simultaneously, causing interference. Click image to see an enlarged viewIf the camshafts must be rotated, do not turn them in toward each other (upper diagram); only rotate them away from each other (lower diagram)-Subaru Forester 2.5L DOHC engine Click image to see an enlarged viewTiming belt routing and timing belt guide (manual transmission equipped vehicles only) location-Subaru Forester 2.5L DOHC engine Click image to see an enlarged viewBefore removing the timing belt, turn the crankshaft sprocket until all of the alignment marks are aligned as indicated-Subaru Forester 2.5L DOHC engine
  1. Remove all necessary components to gain access to the timing belt.
  2. If equipped with manual transmissions, loosen the 2 timing belt guide mounting bolts, then separate the guide from the engine block.
  3. If the directional arrow and alignment marks on the timing belt are faded, and the belt is to be reused, remark the belt with white paint or a grease pencil as follows:
    1. Using a Subaru tool No. ST-499987500 Crankshaft Socket, or equivalent, installed on the crankshaft sprocket, rotate the crankshaft until the crankshaft sprocket, left-hand exhaust camshaft sprocket, left-hand intake camshaft sprocket, right-hand intake camshaft sprocket and right-hand exhaust camshaft sprocket timing mark notches are aligned with the respective marks on the belt cover and engine block. Click image to see an enlarged viewOn models equipped with a manual transmission, loosen the 2 timing belt guide bolts and separate the guide from the engine block-Subaru Forester 2.5L DOHC engine Click image to see an enlarged viewIf the original marks on the timing belt are worn or faded, make new alignment marks in the positions indicated-Subaru Forester 2.5L DOHC engine
    2. Make alignment and/or arrow marks on the timing belt in relation to the sprockets as indicated in the accompanying illustration.
      • Z1: 54.5 tooth length
      • Z2: 51 tooth length
      • Z3: 28 tooth length
  4. Loosen the center bolt from the timing belt idler pulley, then remove the idler pulley from the engine block. WARNING After removing the timing belt, DO NOT rotate the camshafts. Damage to the valves may occur.
  5. Carefully remove the timing belt from all of the sprockets. Click image to see an enlarged viewIt is necessary to remove the automatic adjuster assembly and reset the pushrod for timing belt installation-Subaru Forester 2.5L DOHC engine
  6. Remove the automatic belt tension adjuster assembly as follows:
    1. Remove the 2 timing belt idler pulleys, as indicated in the accompanying illustration.
    2. Loosen the automatic tension adjuster assembly mounting bolts, then separate the adjuster assembly from the engine block.

To install:

WARNING Do not allow oil, grease, or coolant to come in contact with the timing belt. If this occurs, quickly and thoroughly remove all traces of the compound. Also, never bend the timing belt sharply; the minimum bending radius is 2.36 in. (60mm). Click image to see an enlarged viewNever bend the timing belt into a radius tighter than 2.36 in./60mm (h), otherwise it will be damaged beyond use-Subaru Forester 2.5L DOHC engine Click image to see an enlarged viewUse a vertical press to push the adjuster rod into its housing until it is flush with the assembly's outer surface . . . -Subaru Forester 2.5L DOHC engine Click image to see an enlarged view. . . then insert a 0.08 in. (2mm) diameter pin or Allen wrench into the housing and rod holes to hold it in position-Subaru Forester 2.5L DOHC engine

1. Inspect the camshaft and crankshaft sprocket teeth for abnormal or excessive wear or scratches. Ensure there is no free-play between the sprocket and the key. Inspect the crankshaft sprocket sensor notch for damage or contamination with debris or dirt. NOTE When preparing the automatic tension adjuster assembly for installation, adhere to the following points:
    • Always use a vertical press, rather than a horizontal press or vise, to depress the adjuster assembly rod
    • Depress the adjuster rod in a vertical position ONLY
    • Depress the adjuster rod slowly (taking more than 3 minutes) with a force of 66 lbs. (30 kg)
    • Do not allow the press force to exceed 2205 lbs. (1000 kg)
    • Press the adjuster rod in as far as the end surface of the cylinder-do not press the rod into the cylinder, which may cause damage to the assembly
    • Do not release the press force from the rod until the stopper pin is completely inserted in the cylinder
  2. Prepare the automatic timing belt tension adjuster assembly for installation as follows:
    1. Position the adjuster assembly in a vertical press.
    2. Slowly depress the adjuster rod with a force of 66 lbs. (30 kg) until the hole in the rod is aligned with the hole in the adjuster cylinder housing.
    3. Insert a 0.08 in. (2mm) diameter stopper pin or Allen wrench through the hole in the cylinder housing and rod, then slowly release the press force from the adjuster rod.
  3. Install the adjuster assembly onto the engine block.
  4. Install timing belt idler pulley No. 2 on the engine block.
  5. Install the timing belt idler pulley No. 1 on the engine block.
  6. If the camshaft and crankshaft timing marks are no longer aligned, perform the following:
    1. Position the crankshaft sprocket so that its mark is aligned with the mark on the oil pump cover on the engine block. Click image to see an enlarged viewIf the camshaft sprockets are no longer aligned, rotate the crankshaft sprocket until the marks are aligned . . .-Subaru Forester 2.5L DOHC engine Click image to see an enlarged view. . . then turn the right-hand exhaust camshaft until the single line mark is aligned with the notch in the belt cover-Subaru Forester 2.5L DOHC engine Click image to see an enlarged viewSpin the right-hand intake camshaft sprocket so that the single line mark is aligned with the notch in the belt cover-at this point, the double line marks on both right-hand camshaft sprockets must be aligned-Subaru Forester 2.5L DOHC engine Click image to see an enlarged viewRotate the left-hand exhaust camshaft until the single line mark is aligned with the notch in the belt cover . . .-Subaru Forester 2.5L DOHC engine Click image to see an enlarged view. . . then align the single line mark on the left-hand intake sprocket with the belt cover notch-Subaru Forester 2.5L DOHC engine Click image to see an enlarged viewAfter orienting all 5 sprockets, the alignment marks should be positioned as shown-Subaru Forester 2.5L DOHC engine
    2. Align the single line mark on the right-hand exhaust camshaft sprocket with the notch on the belt cover.
    3. Rotate the right-hand intake camshaft so that the single line mark is aligned with the notch on the belt cover. NOTE At this point, the double line marks on both right-hand camshaft sprockets should be aligned.
    4. Turn the left-hand exhaust (lower) camshaft counterclockwise (as viewed from the front of the engine) until the single line mark is aligned with the notch on the belt cover.
    5. Position the single line mark on the left-hand intake camshaft sprocket so that it is aligned with the notch on the belt cover. When rotating the camshaft, do so only in a clockwise direction (as viewed from the front of the engine). NOTE At this point, the double line marks on both left-hand camshaft sprockets should be aligned.
    6. Ensure the timing marks are aligned as shown in the accompanying illustration. If they are not, repeat Substeps 12a through 12e until they are properly aligned.
  7. Install the timing belt around the camshaft, crankshaft and idler pulleys so that the positioning marks on the timing belt are aligned with the marks on the sprockets as follows:
    1. Position the timing belt on the crankshaft sprocket so that the marks are aligned.
    2. Route the belt down and under the left-hand, upper idler pulley, then up and around the left-hand intake camshaft sprocket, ensuring the camshaft sprocket mark is aligned with the mark on the belt.
    3. Route the belt down and around the left-hand exhaust camshaft sprocket, making sure the marks are properly aligned, then up and over the first lower idler pulley and down and around the second lower idler pulley. Click image to see an enlarged viewWhen installing the timing belt, be sure to route it in the proper order (a through e), and ensure that all of the matchmarks are properly aligned-Subaru Forester 2.5L DOHC engine
    4. While holding the timing belt on the inner, left-hand, lower idler pulley, route the other side of the timing belt (from the crankshaft sprocket) down and under the right-hand upper idler pulley.
    5. Route the timing belt up and around the right-hand intake camshaft sprocket so that the belt and sprocket marks are aligned.
    6. Position the belt down and around the right-hand exhaust camshaft sprocket, ensuring the positioning marks are aligned.
  8. Install the right-hand lower idler pulley so that the timing belt is routed over the top side of it. NOTE Once the belt is completely installed on all of the pulleys and sprockets, ensure that the positioning marks are still all aligned.
  9. After ensuring all of the marks are still aligned, use a pair of pliers to withdraw the stopper pin or Allen wrench from the adjuster assembly housing.
  10. On models with manual transmissions, perform the following:
    1. Install the timing belt guide by temporarily tightening the mounting bolts.
    2. Position the timing belt guide so that there is 0.019-0.059 in. (0.5-1.5mm) clearance between the timing belt and the belt guide. Click image to see an enlarged viewOn models equipped with manual transmissions, ensure the timing belt-to-guide clearance (arrows) is correct before tightening the mounting bolts-Subaru Forester 2.5L DOHC engine
    3. Tighten the guide mounting bolts securely, then double check the guide clearance.
  11. Install the timing belt covers and all remaining engine components.

mike, bmw master tech
Experience: ase certified.. bmw master tech