Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair

1997 Buick Park Avenue: you remove the power steering pump

how do you remove the power steering pump from a 1997 Buick Park Avenue with a 3800? Have everything disconnected, but can

Is it kind of loose like you are missing a bolt or 2?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is completely loose (can be flipped upside down or pulley towards the moter). Just can't seem to find a big enough hole to get it out. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How do I remove the clips to seperate the resevoir from the pump? This should allow me to slide each part from below.

Hello, good morning. The pumps can be tight at times. I do not recommend pulling the resevoir as you can very easily break it and,.... I have never had to do this. If you must, the clips slide off either direction. Use screwdriver or similar, small mallet to assist. I have enclosed the instructions for R R but what is not mentioned, just shown, is in most cases we have to pull the pulley off first. There is a special tool for this available at most all parts stores now. The last assist would be undo the motor mount on that side or close and place board under motor and carefully jack up engine some. Again, never had to do this but you may have weak sagging mount causing eng to lean and limit room. Good luck. With some patience it will come out.

On-Vehicle Service

Power Steering Hose/pipe Routing (3800 Engine)

1. Accessory drive belt from pulley.
  2. Inlet hose and outlet pipe at pump.
  3. Pump mounting bolts.
  4. Pump and reservoir.
  5. Reservoir from pump.
  6. Transfer pulley as necessary.

NOTICE: Always use the correct fastener in the proper location. When you replace a fastener, use ONLY the exact part number for that application. The manufacturer will call out those fasteners that require a replacement after removal. The manufacturer will also call out the fasteners that require thread lockers or thread sealant. UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED, do not use supplemental coatings (paints, greases, or other corrosion inhibitors) on threaded fasteners or fastener joint interfaces. Generally, such coatings adversely affect the fastener torque and the joint clamping force, and may damage the fastener. When you install fasteners, use the correct tightening sequence and specifications. Following these instructions can help you avoid damage to parts and systems.

1. Reservoir to pump.
  2. Pump and reservoir.
  3. Power steering pump mounting bolts/screws.
    • Tighten bolts/screws to 34 Nm (25 ft. lbs.) .
  1. Inlet hose and outlet hose pipe to pump.
  2. Accessory drive belt to pulley.
  3. Fill with fluid.
  4. Bleed the system.
    • Inspect for leaks.