Vladgmru
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Experience:  I've been working with American made cars since 1992.
12883947

My car wont run in drive and third gear, but will..first gear

my car won't run in drive and third gear, but will in second and first gear.     may i drive it over the weekend slow in second till i get it to the shop ?
Category: Car
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer
Thanks for choosing JustAnswer.
My name is Vladimir.
Please specify your vehicle ( Year/Make/Model/ Engine).
You can reply in this thread.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2001 chevy venture, v-6
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 5 years ago.
Hi!
I saw your reply in the second question you opened.
It seems that there is a problem within the transmission or its control system.
You should check the transmission oil level and its condition.
The vehicle must be at level surface, with the engine running and the shift lever in the PARK range.
If the fluid have a burnt odor or a dark brown color, you'd better have you car towed to the shop.
If the transmission has a normal oil level and it is pink/red in colour, you can drive it to your shop at slow speed.
Feel free to ask if you need any additional information.
Vladimir.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my question, would it be o,k to drive it in second gear slowly 25mph, over the " week-end " say 6 hours of use ? till monday, shop opens .
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 5 years ago.

It might be OK to drive it in 2 gear slowly, but it (transaxle) may break down completely as well.

It depends on the current transmission condition and on a kind of problem it has.

As I said before, if it has burnt oil and you continue driving it, you may ruin it to a point when it needs only replacement, but not repair.

Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Experience: I've been working with American made cars since 1992.