Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair

2002 mazda 626: Last year the belts started squealing.

Customer Question

I have a 2002 mazda 626. Last year the belts started squealing. I took it to the shop and they said the belts needed to be replaced. All the belts were replaced incuding the timing belt, water pump. the car continued to squeal. I took it back they wanted to make sure it was not the pully, it was not. it has gotten cold again and the car has begun tomake the same noise. now they are saying its just the car. Do you know what can be done. Also I think my idle is off but once again mazda said that its correct. where should the hand be on the rpm?
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.
As far as belt squeel. You need to confirm it is belt(s) rather than alternator bearing etc. To do this, get some spray silicon, wd 40 or similar. gently start to spray each belt one at a time.Do not go crazy with spray. Just a little should do the trick. If it is belt noise, it will go away once hit with spray and may return shortly after. You have found the belt. Now, is it tight? hard to explain that but should not be able to move up down or twist hardly at all by hand. If you spray all belts and still noise, get a 12 "++ screwdriver and place tip on the alternator while handle end at ear. You now have stethescope. You will be able to hear amplified bearing noise in alt. Be careful doing this as to not slip. I recomment a shop doing this if possible. Good luck. It is not just the car. You have a problem somehere :)