FixItMan, Master Technician

96 grand am: new engine conpression..converter

Customer Question

my car is a 96 grand am 2.4 liter engine i took my car to pep-boys to see why my car wouldnt start, i bought a new starter but that didnt work so they told me that i need a new engine because of low conpression is there any thing i can do to restore my engine conpression also my catylitic converter was stolen off my car is there anything i can do to not spend so much money
Category: Car
Expert:  FixItMan replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer what does the vehicle do when you try and start it?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it does nothing
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my wont start at all at first the engine would turn but it does noting now
Expert:  FixItMan replied 7 years ago.
If the vehicle will not even crank then it did not lose compression. If it does not crank then either there is a problem in the starting circuit or a different problem with the engine. If the engine can be cranked by hand then it should be okay. The problem may be in the battery, starter relay, or ignition switch, or even in the park nuetral safety switch.