FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician
Experience:  AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL TECH
1627031

1997 MERCURY MOUNTAINEER: CONSIDERING BUYING..DRIVE MUCH..MY CAR

I AM SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING BUYING A 1997 MERCURY MOUNTAINEER WITH 107,000 MILES. TO USE AS A SECOND CAR AT MY SUMMER HOME. I DON'T DRIVE MUCH, BUT STAY 3 MONTHS SO EXPENSIVE TO RENT OR SHIP MY CAR. I AM INTERSTED IN THE SAFETY OF THE PARTS. THE OWNERS SAY THAT THE ONLY RECALL WAS THE TIRES.
Category: Car
Expert:  FixItMan replied 8 years ago.
HelloCustomer the safety of the parts in not the biggest issue with this vehicle. The tires were the main safety concern. This vehicle tends to have a lot of transmission problems when it gets up to this type of mileage. If you are considering purchasing this vehicle you need to make sure all of the maintenance was kept up on, especially the transmission fluid changes.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
hOW MUCH DOES A NEW TRANSMISSION, OR GOOD REPAIR PROBABLY COST.? JUST A BALL PARK FIGURE
Expert:  FixItMan replied 8 years ago.
If the transmission does actually go out you are usually looking at a minimum of about $2000 to rebuild it.