John, Master Automotive Technician
Experience:  ASE A1-A8 & L1 Master GM Tech 40 years experience
6408229

1995 Rodeo: replacing..Isuzu..botton screw on thermostat housing

Customer Question

While replacing thermostat on a 1995 Rodeo Isuzu. I broke botton screw on thermostat housing. How can I fix it. Do I replace the thermostat housing, or is there a super glue I can use.
Category: Car
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.

Hello Ray Aquino,

This cannot be super glued because it is under pressure from the cooling system when the engine is running.Remove the thermostat housing & if there is part of the bolt sticking out,grab it with a pair of vice grips.If the bolt is broken flush with the surface you will need to drill the bolt out & re tap the hole.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
That the problem. I was able to remove all three screws, but when I replaces them back, that when the botton screw broke a piece of the thermostat housing. I have a thermostat housing with a piece that broke off.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
Ok,I understand now.You will need to purchase a new thermostat housing to complete this repair.Without all 3 bolts you will have a small amount of seepage at that point under pressure.