Elated Technician
Elated Technician, ASE Advanced Master Technician
Experience:  16 yrs exp, Auto/Diesel Associates degree, ASE Master w/ Advanced cert, Saab Master and BMW level 4

2005 Saab: my water temp gauge is working intermittently..fluid levels

2005 Saab Linear 9.5 - I notice that my water temp gauge is working intermittently. All fluid levels are ok. No message appearing on the SIDS display. this just started over the last 3 one day and then not the next. The a/c did not work when the gauge is "stuck" ? Kathy Reynolds
Category: Car
Expert:  Elated Technician replied 7 years ago.

Hello Kathy,

More than likely what you are experiencing is a sticking thermostat. It is common on the 9-5's, especially when the temperatures start to drop. A check engine light may come on if the problem is not resolved soon. If the engine takes too long to warm up the engine management will store a fault code and illuminate the warning light.

Parts and labor is normally about $150 if they re-use the coolant (it has long life coolant which does not need to be changed).

If the outside temp is below 5 deg C, the a/c will not work (since it will not be able to make a change in the interior environment).

There is a chance the engine temp sensor wiring is chewed by a rodent- this would cause both symptoms too. If you see any rodent damage around the engine, I would have it repaired first. The rodents like the coolant temp sensor wires for some reason.

Let me know if I can assist any further.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My husband was a mechanic - has worked on cars and heavy equipment. He usually gets it figured out. However this is my 5th Saab (and last) - GM has not done Saab proud in my opinion. We seem to have lots of computer/electrical issues with this car. The temp outside when this first occured was probably upper 70's - humid - we did need the a/c at the time (live south of Houston). However - this morning when it appeared 'stuck' - it was 48 degrees.,....two extremes. We do live in the country (per se) and altho we don't seem to have a rodent issue - snake issue yes.....they eat the rodents :O)........I'll have the MR look at the sensor wiring. Thank you for your assistance. Kathy