JonathanOnny
JonathanOnny, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  fully certified gm tech and hybrid trained

2007 saturn: backup camera..factory dvd/nav using gm lockpick

Customer Question

have a 2007 saturn outlook. no factory option for backup camera. want to install one with integration to factory dvd/nav using gm lockpick, but requires the factory camera option to be turned on. dealer says they can't because their system reads the vin and only turns on the options sold with the vehicle. Is there any way i can get this turned on?
Category: Car
Expert:  JonathanOnny replied 5 years ago.
hello there i currently work at a saturn dealer. i know that the outlooks with a nav system can have the back up camera. are you just missing the camera? what is the problem? the dealer said you cant have a back up camera because of a vin? sounds fishy? a vin number would help me? thanks for using just answer let me do some research if you are willing to give me a vin number. thanks agian Jon
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Jon,

Here is the VIN:

5GZEV33797J105916

You can see from the build that the car did not come equipped with a factory backup camera. This is because this option was not available on 2007 outlooks, only 2008.

The route i chose was to add an aftermarket backup camera, and connect it to the factory nav system with a t-harness. The camera works fine, but it will not display on the screen. This is because the feature inside the nav unit which allows a backup camera to be displayed is not active.

I asked the dealer to turn this feature on. What they explained to me is that when they connect the car to their diagnostic system, i believe it was called tis2web, that it reads the vin number and then shows the build of the car modules. because the car was not sold with a backup camera, they cannot turn this feature on in the nav head unit. They said they use to be able to do this with the Tech 2 tool they had before, but not with this new system.

Does this seem to be the case?

Aaron