CarQuestionGuy, Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Auto Technician for 5 years, ASE Refrigerant Handler, ASA, iATN

1986 Pontiac bonneville se: 2 engines in the past

have a 1986 Pontiac bonneville se, have gone through 2 engines in the past year, and I don't drive like a nut! Is there some problem with these cars I'm unaware of?
Category: Car
Expert:  CarQuestionGuy replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for using Just Answer

Why were these engines changed?
Did you install new engines?
How many miles were on them?
How well did you maintain them?

Let me know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Engines were changed because they were failing. Mechanic installed used engines. No idea how many miles were on them. Maintain our cars better than most. Even though my car is older, is at the mechanics at least once a month for replacement or maintenence of one thing or another. Tires, brakes, battery, cables, starter, just about everything is new except for the engine.
Without knowing much about the engines I would have to say that the most likely cause of your problems isthat the engines you installed were probably getting worn out before they were installed. If these engines had high mileage then they probably would not have lasted long no matter who owned the car.
If you are planning to replace this engine again, be sure to find out how many miles the replacement has on it.
I don't know if you have a good trustworthy mechanic or not, but I recommend that you ask lots of questions and just make sure that you are not getting ripped off. It would be easy to sell you a used engine that has high mileage that he got for really cheap then marked up by a lot and sold it to you. If you trust him then I wouldn't worry, but if you aren't sure then you might want to ask him.
Let me know if you need anything else.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Have known and trusted the mechanic for 10 years. I had already considered that the engines were not up to par, my question was, is there an issue with the 1986 bonnevilles that would affect the engine (ie bad seals, ect) so that we would be aware and look for it before installing another engine. When I googled the car I saw part of an article that started to say something about seals and oil leaks. But couldn't find the rest of it in the website through all the crap. Do you have any specific knowledge of these particular cars and their history?
These engines had no TSB's for bad seals or anyting similar. They have had problems with the thrust bearing that will cause a knock just above idle, the DIS ignition system and have revised the torue specs for the cylinder heads...none of which really affect purchasing a used engine as there is no way to check for any of this without having the engine running or having it torn apart.