CarQuestionGuy, Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Auto Technician for 5 years, ASE Refrigerant Handler, ASA, iATN

Have a 96 Saturn SL2 which uses oil. Hubby says it is not

Have a '96 Saturn SL2 which uses oil. Hubby says it is not leaking nor is there any smoking indicating that the car is burning oil? Would like to know where the oil is disappearing to as he has to add 1 qt in every 2 days. Thank you for your help.
Category: Car
Expert:  CarQuestionGuy replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for using Just Answer

If it is using that much oil it has to be going somewhere. How did he determine that it is not burning oil?
So this car never leaks anything at all?

Let me know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The car does not have any smoking nor is there any evidence of oil on the ground. Hubby is retired mechanic but this one has him stumped.
It is possible that this car only leaks while running or driving. It is also possible that it only leaks when the engine is revved.
There are only a few places oil can go. Into the cylinders to be burned, into the coolant or leaking out somewhere. If it was leaking into the coolant you should notice this by checking your coolant. If it is leaking out of the seals and gaskets then you should be able to put the car up on a jack and find where it might be leaking. If it is burning the oil it probably would smoke, but you might not notice it much if it is not burning a lot of it.
I recommend having a compression test and leak down test done. This will tell you what the condition of the inside of the engine is in and help determine whether it is buning oil or not.

Let me know if you need more help.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Oil is not in the coolant and the seals and gaskets are dry. Hubby states that there is no evidence of blue smoke when being driven, just running nor when revved. He feels that having to add 1 qt every two days is a wee bit much! Any other ideas?
It's not really a matter of ideas or not. This oil is going somewhere and the things I mentioned above are the ONLY places it can go. Unless you have some kid in your neighborhood sneaking around and removing oil from vehicles.
If you do a compression test and leak down test this will help figure out whether it is being burned. Just because you don't notice blue smoke does not mean that it is not being burned. Like I said it might only be leaking when the engine is revved up while driving.