FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician
Experience:  AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL TECH
1627031

2004 saturn ion: hvac system..will and restart randomly and at will

Customer Question

on uor 2004 saturn ion, the hvac system started to shut down completelt randomly and at will and restart randomly and at will. sometimes within minutes, sometimes after a week. took cat to saturn of reading. they said the control module was the problem and it needed to be replaced. it did not solve the problem. then the dealer said that an aftermarket remote starter was the problem. they removed it. still the problem wasn't solved. now they say they're tracing wires and have had the car over a week. can't find the problem and asked if they could have car longer. I told them the car is worthless, especially in winter since we might not have heat or windshield defrost. When it shuts down, nothing on the hvac system works. We can't even draw outside air into car, no fan, etc. I asked if they called saturn tech service. they said they did. PLEASE HELP!
Category: Car
Expert:  FixItMan replied 8 years ago.
HelloCustomer do you have any other electrical issues also? Is this the only problem?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
This is the only problem. When it shuts down, everything on the HVAC system stops. We cannot get outside air into the car. The heat and/or air conditioner go "dead". There is nothing we can do to make it shut down and nothing we can do to make it start. It might not work when we park the car and start working when we start the car the next day. Or conversely, it might be working when we park the car and not work the next time the car is started. Or, it can stop or start while you are driving. I asked my wife to keep a log of when it shut off or restarted. She went to the store one day and on the way there the system shut off. She was sitting in the parking lot with the car still running, and while writing this down the system restarted. When she came out of the store it wasn't working again. Sometimes it's only a brief time between events. Other times in can be a week or more between events. We found no pattern. The only thing that works when it shuts down is the rear window defroster. The radio, lights, etc. are not affected.
Expert:  FixItMan replied 8 years ago.
Okay. The most common causes I have seen that causes this on your vehicle is a loss of contact in the ignition switch and/or a problem with the body control module. The problem is usually with the module. Did they replace this module or the a/c control module?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

FYI:

I SHOWED YOUR RESPONSE TO THE DEALER WHO COMPLETELY REJECTED YOUR SUGGESION THAT IT MIGHT BE THE IGINITION SWITCH. THEY HAD THE CAR OVER TWO WEEKS, REPLACED THE CONTROL HEAD AND THE BODY CONTROL MODULE AND REMOVED THE AFTERMARKET REMOTE STARTER SYSTEM. THEY CHECKED EVERY WIRE WITH NO SUCCESS. ONE DAY THEY CALLED AND SAID IT NOW WORKS. THEY WERE RELUCTANT TO TELL ME WHAT THEY DID. THEY FINALLY ADMITTED THEY REPLACED THE IGNITION SWITCH BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!