CarQuestionGuy, Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Auto Technician for 5 years, ASE Refrigerant Handler, ASA, iATN

2000 Outback: It stalls while idling quite often.

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Outback Legacy with 42,000 miles on it. I bought it a year ago with 30,000 miles. It stalls while idling quite often. Usually starts right back up. Sometimes the check engine light comes on, sometimes it doesn't. When it does come on it goes off within a couple of days. Stalling seems to be getting more frequent. I have taken it in and the mechanics thought bad gas and put in dry gas, a second time they changed the mass air flow sensor. One mechanic thought it was Oxygen sensor but did a test and said it wasn't. I am fed up and worried. Any ideas are most appreciated.
Category: Car
Expert:  CarQuestionGuy replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for using Just Answer

Can you tell me what the codes were?

Let me know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't have the codes. I remember they were confused by the computer and that the code was not helping them diagnose the problem last March. That's when they put in the new mass air flow sensor and they didn't charge me for it because they weren't sure that was the problem. They told me not to bring it back unless the check engine light stayed on so that they could retrieve a code from it. It hasn't stayed on yet. They also changed the fuel filter last February, I forgot to mention that. They said it was filthy.
If the check engine light came on it should have a "history code" in it. You might want to have them read at maybe an auto parts store or even another repair shop to find out what the codes are. Without them we will be just stabbing in the dark.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Apparently whatever code it was giving them last march was not helpful because they told me not to bring it back unless the light stayed on.
I would find myself another repair shop. If there is something wrong with your car they should be able to diagnose the problem and repair it (even if there is no codes).
If they cannot do this then they have no business trying to repair cars.
There are lots of things that can cause your type of problem:
Idle air control
Vacuum leak
Fuel pressure problem
Fuel injector problems
Computer problems
MAF sensor
Coolant temp sensor
Throtte position sensor
and many more.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you
No problem. Thanks for using Just Answer and thanks for accepting.