MR. FIX IT
MR. FIX IT, Mechanic
Experience:  10 years of tearing down and putting back together
11946494

I have a 1984 Porsche 944. Problem is that is hard to start

I have a 1984 Porsche 944. Problem is that is hard to start after first start. Cylinders 1 & 4 seem to be getting to much fuel as they carbon up rather quickly. Clean the plugs and the next morning, it will start. Another thing is that the engine will not rev above approximately 3200, any additional pedal causes sputtering and backfire. Simple checks for the o2, engine temp, and air flow sensors have been made and according to a manual, they are functioning properly. Any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  MR. FIX IT replied 8 years ago.
can you let me know what all you have checked im kinda thinking it might be something simple
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I have removed the muffler and made sure that the cat is not stopped up. It was clear. I have disconnected the O2 sensor did not notice a change. Tested the air flow sensor as book suggested and test revealed that it was working properly. Have not tested the throttle position sensor. Tested the block temperature sensor and it seemed to perform as specified. Not much more to say. Checked plug wires for resistance and seem fine. New plugs. New cap and rotor. That's about it.

Thanks,

now have you checked the timing along with the resistance on the injectors im leaning towards timing probly at the cam sensor or distributer sounds like you might be injecting fuel either too early or (most likley) too late causing it to not burn all the fuel

also check the timing at the distributer. if it is only two cylinders that are overfueling you could even have the plug wires switched or just be advanvced too much if you dont have a timing light you can use the loan a tool program that most parts houses have

if you have already tried this let me know but it really does sound like a timing issue to me

now have you checked the timing along with the resistance on the injectors? im leaning towards timing probley at the cam sensor or distributer sounds like you might be injecting fuel either too early or (most likley) too late causing it to not burn all the fuel

also check the timing at the distributer. if it is only two cylinders that are overfueling you could have the plug wires switched or just be advanvced too much if you dont have a timing light you can use the loan a tool program that most parts houses have

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I will not be able to check this tonight. That thought had crossed my mind. I will have to look into how this particular vehicle is set up for timing.
ok let me know but i am sure it is timing

did you get the chance to check

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No, I am having the Porsche picked up today to have the timing belts checked for correct positioning.