Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

I own a 2004 Land Rover Range Rover...engine sputtered and turned off

I own a 2004 Land Rover Range Rover. The vehicle has slightly over 81K miles. Today, I tried to start the car, the engine sputtered and turned off. I also was tried applying pressure to gas hoping that the ignition or engine would "catch". Neither happened despite several attempts. The battery is fully charged. What is the problem and can you recommend a solution.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 7 years ago.

Have you checked for spark?
Pull off one of the plug leads and plug in a spare plug to the end of the lead (or remove one from the engine) brace the plug against the engine so metal touchs metal ( DO NOT hold it on by hand) then get someone to try and start the engine whil you watch the end of the plug - should have a fat blue spark at regular intervals.

If thats OK the next check is does it have fuel? Is the fuel getting to the injector?
Again remove a plug and see if its getting wet.
Try this and get back to me.