Derrick
Derrick, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.-Automotive Analysis A6-Electrical A8/L1-Engine Performance Cert., CA Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge Tech
7680243

driver side tail light goes..brake light..passenger side..headlights

the problem is when the brake pedal is depressed the driver side tail light goes out...both the tail light and brake light, when the pedal is released the tail light comes back on. (the passenger side functions ok).
I had the problem earlier and my local mechanic replaced the tail light assy and this fixed the problem for maybe 3 months...last night my son got a fix-it ticket so I have to find the problem...
I read an earlier post that you suggested replacing the taillight assy for a similar problem (out when headlights are on) and you said they would never have the problem again while they owned the car...is that because there is a lifetime replacement on the part? I heard somewhere that there are 3 revisions to the part number...is jeep having a lot of these problems? I don't want to pay another $250 for another tail light assy if it is just going to go out in 3 months...
Thanks for your help on this one.

Hi there

There is no lifetime warranty on this component, but if you replace the unit with a new one from Jeep, then that part will most likely outlast the car, and that is why I said you will not need to worry about it again.

Jeep does have a number of problems with these taillamp assemblies, but if you just replaced it with a new one from Jeep, mopar offers a 12 month warranty on their parts I beleive, so if you take it back to them they should warranty it for you.

Unfortunately, this is just one of the problems with these Jeeps.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
is there any other "fix" or is replacement the best option?

There is no fix that would not fail almost immediately, sometimes you can bend the tabs on the bulb sockets and twist them in the taillamp assembly, but it is not a relaible fix.

Unfortunately, replacement is th only option.