Online Wrench
Online Wrench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified, Asian and Domestic Specialist

1999 Subaru Outback: radiator..block tester put

Customer Question

My 1999 Subaru Outback 2.5L keeps over heating. I have put in 2 new thermostats, and a new radiator. I also had a block tester put on it but no hydrocarbons were detected. Could this still be the notorious head gasket issue?
Category: Car
Expert:  Online Wrench replied 7 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to! I would still suspect a head gasket. Exhaust on modern cars will often not have enough HC in them to show up in a block tester. The best way I have found to check is to pressure test the cooling system and inspect the cylinders for coolant. Make sense? If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I will be glad to help in any way that I can. If this information was helpful, please click ACCEPT! Thank You.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is it pretty common for this to be the cause?
Yes. But I would do the test I said before tearing the heads off.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Could you clarify how to inspect the cylinders for coolant?
If you can remove the spark plugs and inspect through there, do this. But it may be neccessary to use a bore scope to inspect them. You might be able to loan one from an autoparts store.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well the car just overheated after driving it for 4 hrs. I just replaced the radiator and thermostat last week. It has had no problems for the last week but then it just spiked and blew all the coolant out, but the radiator was still cool to the touch. could the head gasket cause that?
Yes. I would make sure that the water pump and belt are still in tact as well. If the water pump and belt are ok....suspect head gasket.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yea they both ar fine. so that must leave the head gasket. Thanks for your help!

No problem....feel free to request my assistance in the future. I would be glad to help you. Thanks for using JA!

Bonuses and feeback are greatly appreciated!