Jason
Jason, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  15 years of mechanical repair with many ASE certifications
10769527

when replacing the sliding caliper there are two bolts one

Customer Question

when replacing the sliding caliper there are two bolts one at the top and one at the bottom, one has 3 notches and the other has 2 notches, which one goes on the top and which one goes on the bottom. this is on a 2000 kia sportage
Category: Car
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
  1. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  2. Remove the front wheels.
  3. Remove the 2 caliper bolts and lift the caliper from the disc.
  4. Disconnect the brake fluid flex line by removing the retaining bolt if the caliper is to be replaced.
  5. Click image to see an enlarged viewExploded view of the front disc brake assembly-Sportage

To install:

1. Seat the caliper piston using a C-clamp.
  2. Connect the brake fluid flex line bolt to the caliper. Tighten the bolt to 17 ft. lbs. (23.5 Nm).
  3. Position the caliper over the disc assembly. Install the caliper bolts. Tighten to 72 ft. lbs. (98 Nm).
  4. Install the front wheels. Tighten the lug nuts 77 ft. lbs. (99 Nm).
  5. Bleed the hydraulic system if the flex hoses were removed.
  6. Lower the vehicle.
  2. Remove the front wheels.
    Click image to see an enlarged viewExploded view of the front disc brake assembly—Sportage

To install:

6. Lower the vehicle.
  1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
  2. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  3. Remove the front wheels.
  4. Remove the 2 caliper bolts and lift the caliper from the disc.
    Click image to see an enlarged viewExploded view of the front disc brake assembly
  5. Disconnect the brake fluid flex line by removing the retaining bolt if the caliper is to be replaced.

To install:

3. Position the caliper over the disc assembly. Install the caliper bolts. Tighten to 13 ft. lbs. (17 Nm).
  6. Lower the vehicle. THIS IS THE BEST DIAGRAM I HAVE I DONT KNOW IF IT WILL HELP OR NOT< DID YOU REMOVE BOTH SIDES IF NOT LOOK AT THE OTHER TO SEE HOW THEY GO Jason
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
jason, your answer is great but i already know where the parts go i just got the two bolts confused like i said in my question the difference in the two bolts is one has 3 notches on the end and the other one has 2 notches on the end, i just need to know which one goes where, i don't want to ruin the rotor or cause any other damage, help i'm a confused female hereFrown
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
To help better serve you I will open your question back up and hopefully another expert can assist you, Jason
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, thanks for trying to help, i really need this question answered asap. if you know any kia technicians there please turn my question on to them, i just want to make sure i did the work ok and i didn't put the bolts in the wrong spot that would cause a rotor problem. thank you again fallenangel