Golden Wrench
Golden Wrench, Shop Foreman
Experience:  ASE 30 Years of fixing severly broken cars and light trucks

My 2000 9-5 (4 cyl) cooling fan has stopped working..000 miles..beast

My 2000 9-5 (4 cyl) cooling fan has stopped working.    I hear a soft hum from the engine when the engine is off (but power is on).    I just had to replace the battery again (12 months/13,000 miles - about the average for this beast.) The AAA tech ran a check and said there is a drain after engine is turned off. Just mentioning this in case they are related.
Category: Car
Expert:  Golden Wrench replied 7 years ago.
I'm GW. Did the hum go away when the fan stopped working?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Never heard the hum befor the fan stopped working. Is it just a fan motor?
OK. The hum may be related. Cooling fans hum when they stay on, and they are not supposed to stay on, and when they do stay on, they can drain the battery. Do you need service indfo?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
As I said, the fan is not working. the hum I hear is not the fan. This is not helping, really, so I think I'll just sign-off. Thanks.
So your cooling fan does not work and you have a battery drain. Do you have any diagnostic tools? If you do I can walk you thru the repairs. There is no immideate answers when there are electrical issues. It;s usually 2 bucks a minute for diagnostics/. So if you can help on your end, we can solve the issues at hand.