CarQuestionGuy
CarQuestionGuy, Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Auto Technician for 5 years, ASE Refrigerant Handler, ASA, iATN
8613158

2004 Olds Alero: V6..im getting an error code p0303 cyl 3 misfire.

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Olds Alero with 3.4 V6 with 57.000 miles. I'm getting an error code P0303 cyl 3 misfire. I've cleared it out 2 times and it eventually reappears. The engine runs smooth with no apparent misfire that I can feel. I pulled the spark plugs on that bank, they appear normal and I re-gapped them to .060. I checked the resistance on cyl number 3 and cyl number 4. They both give about the same reading but I'm not sure what setting I should be at on the multi meter and what number to look for as good or bad. What other things should I be looking for?
Category: Car
Expert:  CarQuestionGuy replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for using Just Answer

There are several things that can be causing this problem. These include, spark plugs, wires, coils, fuel injectors, low compression, etc.
You are looking for something specific to that cylinder. One thing you can do is switch the fuel injector and coil/wires with another cylinder and see if the misfire follows them to the cylinder that you switched them to.

Here is more information on this code:

http://www.myautorepairadvice.com/p0301.html

Let me know if you need more help.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The one thing I was hoping for, what to set the ohmmeter at when checking a plug wire and what resistance number to look for if the wire were bad. Also, have you experienced this problem on a GM 3.4 V6 before and if so, what was the eventual fix?
The resistance should be in the 12,000 to 15,000 ohm range. Your meter should probably be on it's highest setting.
The eventual fix for this code most of the time is a tune up, but there are many other things that can cause it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, I got a little more information to go on. Since I've never used this service before I have another question. Once I accept your answer I assume you get paid. If I have additional questions concerning this problem with my vehicle do I need to pay $9, $15 or more to get more info?
After you press accept, then I get paid for it. As far as additional questions, that is up to you. If you have specific questions about the original question then I am happy to help you. If you have a new question it's best that you open a new one.
When you are happy with my answer then just hit "accept" and I am paid.
CarQuestionGuy, Technician
Experience: ASE Master Auto Technician for 5 years, ASE Refrigerant Handler, ASA, iATN
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will accept your answer for now so you get paid. This car I'm working on is my daughters car and I can't work on it regularly. So, it may be a week before I try some of your suggestions. I may want to ask another question pertaining to this problem after that time. This will be OK?
Thanks for accepting and thanks for using Just Answer

I'm not sure the time limit on questions, but you can try that.